Tuesday, March 5, 2013

What is the best equipment I should get in order to create a media center?

Q. I want to create a Media Centre in my living room -- would like some help with respect to what PC + other equipment I should buy and what types of software I should use in order to create a cool media center (e.g. to watch/record TV, browse internet, listen to music, look at photos etc)

A. If you are interested in non-Windows solution, I would definitely recommend MythTV on Linux with a Hauppauge PVR250/350 TV tuner card. It is very powerful and comes with all the features you want and more. It requires some time to set up but once you do, believe me, its worth it.

How do I hook up a Linux computer to the internet using an XP host?
Q. I am running Fedora Core 5 on my laptop and I have Windows XP Media Center on my desktop which is connected to the internet via LAN. I want to know how I can connect to the internet from my laptop using my desktop's net connection. I already have all the physical connections set up (network adapters and cable) and I'm already using my network for file sharing. Please don't offer any suggestions on using Linux as host (I already know how much safer it is). I want help on dealing with situation as it.

Incidentally, I'm also facing trouble using ICS from my XP partition on the laptop. It used to work flawlessly before, but I think after I installed Fedora it stopped working (although file and printer sharing areOK). I ran the ICS wizard again on each comp, but it didn't work. Any suggestions on what might cause that?

A. First of all ICS or a proxy service are the way to go.
XP is a bit limited with other choices. If you already
had ICS set up for the XP partition the same settings
will work for the fedora one.

For the other part. No. Linux has nothing to do with it.
The ICS configuration ist just settings within the XP
partition. Linux can't change that. You have recently
installed a firewall or made some firewall rule changes
on either of the crates?

Are there any programs like Windows Media Center for the Mac?
Q. Mac comes with Front Row, but that is not a good program like Windows Media Center. I would preferably would like to watch TV on my Mac. If there are any alternatives to Windows Media Center only available for the PC then tell me. I can run VMWare fusion and run windows on my mac too however I don't think I have enough memory space or processor cards installed for me to be able to do that. I got Windows Vista Basic (it didn't come with Media Center)

A. Freevo
XBMC
MediaPortal
Elisa
GB-PVR

and also there are a number of linux Media Centre operating systems
* GeeXboX
* LinuxMCE
* KnoppMyth
* Mythbuntu
* Mythdora
* Linpus



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment