Tuesday, March 19, 2013

What Linux distribution is best for me and how much should i partition?

Q. I am going to make a dual boot system and i was wondering what linux distribution would offer new things that windows dosent. It would be nice if the distribution was free. I was also wondering how much i should partition off for linux

A. Linux is petty good in not taking up much space. I'd recommend partitioning about half as it is the easiest option and is done by default in most Linux installers.

As for which distro, that is a matter of personal preference. I personally like openSUSE and use it both at home and at work.
http://opensuse.org

Many recommend Ubuntu for beginners. However I despise the Gnome interface, so I'd go with Kubuntu (Ubuntu with the KDE interface.
http://ubuntu.org
http://kubuntu.org

In any distro, to get multimedia files to play and 3d acceleration to work, you will have to do some tweaking. This is due to the fact that many of these drivers and codecs are proprietary. Older ATi graphics cards can be iffy under Linux. The graphics will work, but you may not have 3d acceleration.

Playing DVDs may even require you to break the law by downloading decss to break DVD encryption. Seems odd to have to break the law to allow the legal use of your DVD, doesn't it?

There are guides for getting all that to work.
http://www.softwareinreview.com/linux_optimizations/hacking_opensuse_10.3.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

What is the Linux distribution that you can boot directly from CD and run without installation?
Q. I once had a 1-CD Linux distribution. I could boot from the CD and run the OS without installing it on the hard drive. It is very useful when you want to do some experiments in Linux but don't want to mess up with all the (Windows) stuff on the hard drive. I forgot the name of the distribution. Can anybody tell me? Thanks!

A. it's called Knoppix. go here: www.knoppix.org

There's also a distribution of Linspire (which has a similar interface to windows) which can be run live but it is not free like knoppix.

What is a good Linux distribution for a flash drive?
Q. I want a Linux distribution to install to my 8gb flash drive that is light on system resources. (I will be running it on older computers and speed is a must.)

I don't want something like Puppy Linux because you are always running as root and I'm concerned with security. No DSL either. I have had graphics problems with that one on some of my computers.

All help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

A. am recommend u to ubuntu is best of the best if u want ubunt give me a call on 09894815959



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment