Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Is there a way to have Window Media Center recognize and play rar'ed videos?

Q. I want WMC on XP to recognize and play video in rar archives, either by extracting it completely before playing or not.

Or should I go with some other Media Center, Windows or Linux based, excluding MythTV?

A. No,only the archiver application can recognise the file. Not that there is any point in compressing a video file as they already, usually have high compression levels due to their encoding.

How can I fix a computer with Windows Media Center on it?
Q. I can fix any computer, but when the computer has Windows Media Center on it I can't do a thing! Any advice?

A. Install Linux, and your computer will work.

How can I make a Media Linux Machine?
Q. I have an old windows computer that I have deleted everything on the hard drive. I would like to find a distribution of Linux that would be good for a Media center. I need the distribution to run on a small amount of ram. And I don't quite know how good the graphics card is. I'm primarily going to be using this computer as a DVD Player and a music player via external hard drive music. Thank you to all that respond. I will choose the best answer that I deem the best!

Thanks Again!
Corbin

A. Ah, at first I thought you were trying to make a Tivo like system which can be done with installing the myth-TV package.


I would boot the Ubuntu or Fedora Core 11 live CD and see how well it performs. Then there is an option to click on "Install" on the desktop to install it to your system.

I've used FC11 and recommend that version of Linux (though it's VERY similar to Ubuntu with the added benefit of being closer to the business RHEL version)

http://fedoraproject.org/

After installing FC11 from live CD, I would do the following:
(note, these all can be installed graphically as well)

Basic Tools:
From the command line type 'su -' <and press enter key> to become root then issue this command:

yum -y install k3b gftp nmap telnet-server kdeedu kdenetwork kdegraphics system-* thunderbird

(I think I'm missing some here but this is an OK start)

Full Open Office install (including uneeded langs)
yum -y install openoffice.org*


For full Video and mp3 support (use the FUSION repository):
Download the following and install them with rpm -Uvh <package name>
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

Now, Install the XMMS player (which is a lot like WinAmp)
yum install *xmms*
(i suggest you change the skin or look and also add the playlist and eq views, but now you can play any audio with this. Look for "audio player" under Sound and Video")

Now install mplayer
yum -y install *mplayer*
(look for the mplayer icon under Sound and Video)

Another thing, if you plug this box into your TV , you can use Mplayer to play video right to it.. then setup a remote desktop session using the "Share Desktop option" in FC. Read up on VNC and krdc, it's easy to setup.

Good luck :-)



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment