Friday, March 1, 2013

What are the requirements to use Linux From Scratch?

Q. Do I need a linux os to run it?
Is there any third party software I need?
Is LFS a programming language?

What can I do to get the code if I were to base it off of Ubuntu?

A. To get started, all you need is a lot of free time. Go to linuxfromscratch.org and start reading the book and follow the instructions. The prerequisites are listed in there. It will also point to the downloads you need. LFS is not a programming language, it is just the book which lists how to install Linux entirely from sources.

Is there a way to hook up an old hard drive to my laptop?
Q. I'm going to start on a Linux from Scratch and I need to hook up an old 40 GB HDD that was in an old computer that I had a long time ago. I was wondering if there was anyway that I could hook it up through USB to my laptop. There's a whole lot of writing on the disk, so if you need any of it to figure it out, then I will add extended details.

A. Get a USB adapter or a HD caddy.

Where to start for becoming a linux master?
Q. I have ubuntu 8.10 installed on my macbook and I am familiar with the gui as well as other desktop environments. But, I have no clue how to program, what a source code is, or how to build my own linux distro from scratch. I do know how to install several operating systems, how to partition a hard drive, and how to install hardware. I'd like to be a programmer someday and I want to know where to start. Thanks!
I don't like kde at all.

A. Check this out:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

It guides you through building a distro from scratch.

Source code is basically the "recipe" to a program. A compiler converts source code to binary.

KDE wasn't my preferred desktop environment at first either, but as I started using it and discovered how much more configurable it is and found some of it's unique features (that the other DE's don't have), it became my favorite desktop environment.

But if you want to learn more about Linux, try using a distro that doesn't try to emulate Windows. Using slackware has taught me a lot.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment