Saturday, March 2, 2013

How do I install a program on UNIX OS?

Q. I would like to know how to install a program on Linux without having to use the software center tool, I want to install it from scratch by myself but the only issue I have is that I dont know how. That is the only thing that is holding my horses from switching to Linux or Fedora. If you could write on a step by step format it would be better for me to understand.

A. You unzip the source archive, then go to a terminal and enter:

cd [enter the location of where you put it here]
./configure
make
sudo make install

Or you may mean downloading rpm files manually, which unless you can't find what you want (you'd go to http://rpmfind.net ) is not recommended as they could've been tampered with and you also won't get updates for that package.

If you want a good amount of packages then switch to a Debian-based distro.

http://www.ubuntu.com
http://www.kubuntu.org
http://linuxmint.com
http://debian.org

How can I crack the user password on a Win2000 account?
Q. We have here at our church a donated computer on which a user account has expired. The donor, the original administrator, does not remember his password unfortunately... There are quite some important files behind this user account. I know about Linux installation etc but can't do that (don't have Linux). Starting in safe mode did not work either. Is there some program I can use?
Thanks! x D-J in L.A.

A. I have used the Offline NT Password & Registry editor at work a few times after somebody forgot the admin password.
It works really well, just follow instruction on the link below, file download is near bottom of page.
It looks alot more complicated than it really is........trust me!
All you need is to unzip and write it to floppy disk using the bat file supplied in the zip file.
Although it says NT it works on NT/2000/XP (looks into the computers SAM file which holds the passwords)

Hope this helps.

How do I install Firefox in a Linux computer?
Q. I downloaded firefox and I can't install it I open the file but I don't see any file that says Install! and it's one of those tar.bz files and I'm new to linux so I have no idea how to do it

A. Your best option is to use your Distro's "Package Manager" to install your software, rather than downloading it and installing it manually. The package manager will handle all the dependencies and related packages for you.

In Ubuntu (Each distro varies, so I'll just use this as an example, since it is the most popular distro.) you go up to the top of the screen, System, Administration, Synaptic package manager. You can type firefox in the search box, find the package that says "Firefox" click the box, tell it to install, then hit the apply button at the top. Firefox and all the related packages will automatically be downloaded and installed.

If you are using a different distro, the package manager may be called something else... It might even be labeled as add/remove programs...

If you happen to be using Gentoo, you will open up a command prompt, su to root and type:

emerge -av mozilla-firefox

Almost any other distro will have a graphical package manager already on the system that is very similar to the ubuntu manager. The exact layout and where it is found vary a little, but you shouldn't have any real problems.

To actually answer your question, however, to decompress (unzip) your file, you would open a command prompt, go to the directory where the file is (/home/"username"/Desktop if you downloaded it to your desktop) and type tar -zvxf filename.tar.bz This will extract the files into a folder caleld filename on your desktop. You can cd into that directory and look for an "installer" program and type ./installerprogramname to install. You will probably have to su to root to do so... Using the package manager saves you all this trouble, PLUS the auto-update on the system will keep firefox up to date as far as security patches are concerned.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment