Tuesday, March 5, 2013

How do I connect Windows and Linux?

Q. I have two laptops behind the same router. Both connect to the internet just fine. One is Windows XP Media Center Edition and the other is Ubuntu 6.06. I'm used to using Windows file sharing to share files between Windows laptops. I want to do something similar now between the Windows and Linux laptop. I just care about reliability, speed, and convenience, not security. What are my options and how do I do it?

A. you need to install samba on your linux machine in order for windows to see your linux files.

on linux, you need to mount the windows share using the mount command. you'll need to use type "cifs".

if you can't figure it out, you could always just use IIS WebDAV on windows and Apache WebDAV on Linux. Same concept and it lets you access files just as you normally would but using the HTTP protocol.

What design programs.........Asus Eee PC 8G Linux Laptop?
Q. I LOVE to design, but i am moving with my sister soon and i can't take my old desktop computer that i had when i was living with my mom, so i decided to invest in the Asus Eee PC 8G Linux Laptop(just ordered it online). I was wondering what programs are compatible with this laptop? By the way, i use Photoshop CS3 Extended now. Also if you have any other tips for me about this laptop please leave them!.

A. It runs Xandros Linux. There are tons of programs available for Linux, but you won't be able to use a lot of the programs you use with Windows. Don't worry, there is tons of alternatives that are, in many cases, better

Check this out:
http://www.linuxalt.com/

Look up your favorite Windows programs, and check out the Linux alternatives.


Also, there is a program called Wine, which allows you to run many Windows programs on Linux. I don't think Photoshop CS3 runs yet, but I know Photoshop CS2 runs quite well. Photoshop might take up all the hard drive space on that thing. Check out GIMP for a photoshop alternative, it'll most likely be preinstalled on your laptop

How do i use Xarchiver to download files?
Q. I have a linux laptop and i want to download Lubi so i can download further programmes e.g Ubuntu, WIne, Shockwave. When i have downloaded the file for Lubi the Xarchiver thing comes up and it is just a load of files. I dont know how to install the software.
thanks (:

A. You shouldn't have downloaded the Lubi app from the source site.

You should just select Lubi in the Ubuntu Package Manager, instead.

Here's the Step by Step:

TIP: Repeat for all other applications you listed.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment