Wednesday, May 15, 2013

How to properly install programs in Linux?

Q. Primarily, I am trying to install OpenOffice and the Linux print drivers for my HP LaserJet 1012. I have the files downloaded from the web. I am just not having any luck getting them installed. Please provide detailed instructions, (as much as possible), as I have tried most things I have already found on linuxquestions.org and 1 or 2 other sites. It is probably something minor I am skipping.

A. You are missing three important peices of information. What type of files are they? What distribution are you using? What type of errors are you getting? With out that information I can only give you the most basic of answers.

Here are the general answers:
.RPM
RPM is a package format pioneered for RedHat. There are several program that can install them. At the command line type "rpm --install <filename>".

.TAR.GZ
Tarballs or a .tar.gz file is a compressed tar file. Usually this means it is the source code for the program. These are the basic steps and are typed at the command line:
gunzip file in a directory
run "./configure" if it is present.
run "make"
run "make install" as root

.DEB
The format was created for the Debian distribution, on which Ubuntu is based. It uses an a different program called dkpg to install software. I am not sure of the command syntax, since I use a Reh Hat based system.

Final thought
There are some programs that can convert between rpms and debs. One program called alien converts from rpms to debs. Not sure what program converts the other way, since I typically use rpms or .tar.gz files.

Remote desktop connection in redhat linux problem?
Q. I have two pc's . on one of them i have installed xp sp2 and on another system I have installed linux (redhat).Now i want to use linux to remotely connect to xp.But how tell me.

in xp it is done by enabling "remote desktop connection"

A. Well, you could try any of the following and find one that works for you.
rdesktop might work, I know it works with Windows Terminal Services haven't tried it with the native "Remote Desktop" but something tells me it may work. http://www.rdesktop.org/

Use RealVNC (or variant) It will work for remote desktop functions has a Linux and a Windows version. http://realvnc.com

There also is a couple of good ones like FreeNX http://freenx.berlios.de/
or 2X (very similar) http://www.2x.com/terminalserver/download.html

One should do you.. good luck

How do I replace Windows with Linux in a seamless fashion?
Q.

A. A couple of suggestions on getting started.
1. Most any computer store sells both RedHat and SUSE versions of Linux for pc's. Either will come with a manual and CD on how to replace Windows.
2. For free, go to http://www.knoppix.org/ and highlight the English version at the top. Read first, then download the free version of Linux they supply.
Hope this helps.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment