Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Generally, what are the most commonly used programming languages?

Q. I know my way around Python and Visual Basic. That's about it. I also know some about the Linux command line, especially in Ubuntu context.

Can anyone help me to determine, what are the next several languages I should concern myself with studying?

A. It really shouldn't matter what languages you learn. What's really important is that you learn the patterns and data structures that span all languages. Once you do this, you'll pick up any language in about a couple weeks with no problem. As far as resume building is concerned, I would feel completely confident in landing a development job anywhere with C/C++ skills and a web job with PHP/SQL skills. Generally, C++ is so versatile because you don't have to rely on the underlying runtime frameworks (JRE for java, and .NET for VB/C#) that many companies try to avoid.

Saying that, Java is also a good one to dabble in if you haven't already, though I would not steer too clear of learning how do deal with memory in C/C++.

It's good you know Python, though you'll definitely need a more powerful language if your going to be serious about a career in software.

Get to know how to build makefiles and construct classes and such in C++ on ubuntu. Get to know how to do everything with a command prompt and vi. Once you understand all of this, you become much more powerful as a developer in general.

What is the best linux distribution for learning to use many?
Q. First, a bit about my background.. I currently work as a Network Engineer, mainly with Cisco routers/switches and VPN devices. I am throughly familiar with Windows, both as a workstation and server, and have one more test to go to complete my MCSE. However, I have no real experience with Linux, and feel like this is both a hole in my personal knowledge and in my resume. :) I can do basic user stuff both from a command line and in Xwindows, but have no real command of it.

That said, I intend to rectify this. I want to start using Linux as my primary operating system on my personal PC, as I feel this is a great first step to really force myself to learn it. I need to know what distribution would be best for me to use. My concern is some of them seem to have alot of propriatary tools that are not found in other linux distros, I want to find one to learn on that will best allow me to be comfortable on any linux distro I run into in the future. Thanks much for your advice!

A. Linux truly is a wonderful operating system! If I'm using a PC, I greatly prefer using it to Windows. It's much more stable, secure, etc. But you already knew that. =]

Personally, I would suggest you start out with OpenSuSE. It's easy to use, yet it is very powerful. Its installer is also pretty easy. I recommend that because a lot of businesses that run Linux on their client systems use SuSE (the only difference between that and OpenSuSE is that SuSE contains closed-source programs; therefore, you have to pay for that distro).

I hope this helps! Good luck!

How much Linux do I know to qualify for some of these jobs out there?
Q. I'm an MCSE/MCITP have my bachelors, and 8 years experience but never touched Linux. I noticed a lot of jobs require some Linux. Obviously I'll never be a guru as I don't use it on the job and never have, but what's a good place to start and how much of it do I need to know to get around comfortably?

A. Get a hold of a few old computers, set up a LAN, and learn how to do anything you can think of. Start learning basic shell commands and how to look up such commands, "man" looks up the manual (docs) for each command, "apropos" searches man pages for a word to find a related command, etc.

If you have a network printer figure out how to use that. Set up apache webserver. Play around with bind9 configuring DNS zones for your LAN. Learn how "samba" interacts with Windows file and printer sharing and WINS. Set up a couple of mail servers using sendmail or postfix and learn how to successfully send mail between them.

And when you get comfortable enough with it, set up a Linux computer as your internet router, masquerading your private LAN from the internet, port forwarding, and other firewall rules (basically learning "iptables").

I am 1700 miles from our factory, so I am not sure what all they use Linux for. But it has been used as a safe public smtp interface for our mail, forwarded into/out of our internal Exchange server. They use Smoothwall Linux for "squid" web proxy (I use IPCop on an old K6-2/400 cpu for squid). Our document retrieval system for literature and drawings is apache webserver in Linux with search pages/scripts written by our network guru.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment