Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What is the best way to back up files if I want to access them with linux running laptop later?

Q. I have an old laptop that will die soon- it is running xp. I want to back up my mp3/photos/word/ppt documents. I may need the applications if my old laptop is still usable, but I really just want to be able to transfer my photos/mp3 etc files to the new laptop running linux. What is the best way to do this? I was thinking portable external HD, but how to do this?

A. Hello,

Connect your laptops using RJ-45 cable.

On your Linux laptop browse the windows share using the following tip.

Press ALT+F2. On the Run window give smb://<windows_IP>/<share_name>

Your windows share will be opened. You can simply drag and drop to your linux folder

What is the best way to install Linux Ubuntu?
Q. I am looking to install Linux on my laptop (Dell Inspiron E1705). During installation I was asked if I wanted to install it under Windows or as a stand alone. I have partitioned my hard drive so the installation as a standalone is no problem, but this is my first time attempting to work with Linux. .

Are there any other issues I might have to face, and if so what is the best way to deal with them???

Thanks in advance.

A. Since you already have Windows, that's good (if you wanted to keep it). The only hard part will be identifying the new partition you want to put Linux, which is really 2-partitions, Linux wanting a swap partition. So, fire up LiveCD and use the DiskPartition to look at the partitions. Make darn sure you know which is Windows. Quit, click the Install Ubuntu icon. In less than a half hour you will have a dual boot machine. When you go Linux, Ubuntu will want to upgrade parts of the Linux.

And, u know, after a while, I formatted the whole drive, made a new 40 meg partition and made a single-boot. Never use the whole hard drive, because it forever and a day to scan the drive for file inventory.

What is your personal favorite linux distribution?
Q. Just want a few ideas, looking to put linux on my laptop, I find windows is too bloated.

A. I personally love Ubuntu they have great support in the forums I have Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid on 3 Desktops and 1 Laptop and just cant get enough of it.

Ubuntu is an ethic or humanist philosophy focusing on people's allegiances and relations with each other. The word has its origin in the Bantu languages of southern Africa. Ubuntu is seen as a classical African concept. The Ubuntu operating system was named for this principle.

The Ubuntu community for sure conforms to this ethic. Ubuntu offers tons of free software and a wonderful GUI and easy to use software management all for free. If you try Ubuntu it will grow on you for sure. Best of luck in finding the best OS for your self hope this has helped.

GOOD LUCK!



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment