Tuesday, May 14, 2013

How do i make Software for Linux Mint?

Q. I've used Ubuntu since 2007 and then in December of 2009 i installed Linux Mint and i love it!, but how would i make software for Ubuntu,Linux Mint or Debian? I have no idea. Where do i start what programs do i need?
I already know c but how do i do it in GUI?
I wanna make gui apps too though, how do i do this?

A. For building GUI applications under Linux, the two most popular tookits are GTK+ and Qt (pronounced "cute"). The KDE desktop as found on Mint has been built using Qt. I have used Qt toolkit and I think it is quite pleasant to program with it.

You basically need two things to start developing GUI applications on Linux:
1) Install the gcc compiler package (and g++ in case you want to do c++ as well)
2) Install the development libraries for the GUI toolkit of your choosing

For (1), you proceed through your package manager, or enter a command in a shell such as: sudo apt-get install g++

For (2), assuming you wish to use Qt, you have to download the Software Development Kit (SDK) of Qt found here: http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/sdk-linux-x11-32bit-cpp
You run this file and follow the wizard that will install all the development files for you.

Qt SDK also includes a nice code editor called Qt Creator which will greatly facilitate your job.

Once this is installed, I recommend starting the Qt Creator editor, and loading a couple of examples provided with the editor. Study them, and you will be able to write your own programs.

How do I install cinnamon in Linux Mint?
Q. How do I install the desktop cinnamon in Linux Mint? I have all the repositories added but I don't see cinnamon anywhere. Is there a location that the actual debian package can be found?
I am running Mint 12 gnome edition 64bit right off of the iso. It has "Matte" as the default desktop. When I go to synaptic package manager and search for cinnamon it doesn't find anything at all.

A. Check the third post on this link. You have to enable the unstable repository also in synaptic.
Hope this helps

How to install wifi drivers on linux mint ?
Q. I got linux mint but it doesn't detect my network card :/ i downloaded the drivers and tried to install them manually but I learned that I have to download kernel headers.etc but I can't do that with no internet -_-' help please ?

A. Here is the Official Ubuntu Wireless Documentation (also applies to Ubuntu/Debian based Linux Mint)

Troubleshooting/Howto/General
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo


LUg.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment