Thursday, January 10, 2013

How do I download flash to puppy linux?

Q. I have puppy linux on a computer, and I am trying to use a text messaging service through yahoo, but it says I must have flash installed to use it. When I follow the link, I am presented with 4 different filetypes to download. Which filetype do I need and what do I do with it?

Btw, I use SeaMonkey internet browser if that helps or changes anything.

A. The .tar.gz version

Here's how to install it:
Open a terminal and run:
wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz

tar -xvzf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz

cd install_flash_player_10_linux

./flashplayer-installer


Then follow the instructions it gives you. When it asks where you need to install it, respond: "/usr/lib/seamonkey"

How do I save Java on my remastered puppy linux live cd?
Q. I know how to down load Java and install on puppy linux 5.2 but how to you save it on the live cd so I don't have to download every time I restart.

A. Download the java.pet to the applications folder from the quickpet or where ever you download yours from. But don't install. After the download is complete remaster the live-cd.

Java will be waiting for you when ever you boot your live-cd. All you'll have to do is open the folder, click the pet and install. This is the only way to avoid re-downloading each time.

How does one run puppy linux in such a manner?
Q. I would like to keep a distro of puppy linux on a flash drive and I would like to keep all the downloads, applications, system files, boot sectors, etc. on the same flash drive so that it serves as a hard drive in a way.
Is there any way for me to do that?

A. Yes, it is a while since I ran puppy but when you first shut it down it should ask you where you want to create a file and if you select your flash drive thats where they will be

EDIT
I think what i did is install all the software I wanted and the did a 'full install' to a USB stick. This option is available in puppy somewhere

Puppy is very quick and great for recovering PCs and for browsing
I eventually moved to slitaz because puppy used to hang my router on shutdown and I get fed-up power-cycling the router

Hopefully some-one has done this more recently than me and has better recall - but I know it can be done pretty easily

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/puppy-linux-on-usb/




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment