Thursday, January 31, 2013

how to define variables and constants for a linux user account?

Q. Say I created a linux user account called john. John wants to create a variable called MYVAL with the value Hello World in the linux shell (bash)

MYVAL = 'Hello World'

John does not want to redeclare this variable everytime he logs in. Is there some linux config file or start up file john can declare this variable in such that it will populate every time he starts up his machine?

A. Declare them in your .bashrc file by copying and pasting that line

Is there a way to download the mediawiki software and run it on locally for testing purposes?
Q. I'd like to start a wiki, and I've heard that the software is free, but I don't have anywhere to host it now. Is there a way I could set it up just to run locally and not available to the outside internet? (and add pages, edit pages, create user accounts, pretty much fully use it in every way, except locally). Thanks!

A. No problem. I have it running at home on a Linux box with Apache.

You'll need to start by installing a web server. Apache is free, and if you have Windows you can try IIS. There are plenty of tutorials on installing Mediawiki on both.

How do I create new user in Linux console?
Q. I just got a new Raspberry Pi for my b-day and installed the recommended disk image, Raspbian. I am so far satisfied, but how can I add a new user besides the default user "Pi"?

A. sudo adduser <username>



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment