Wednesday, January 30, 2013

How do you remove a Linux OS to install windows?

Q. I purchased a "used" computer from my company and it has a Linux OS on it. I would like to wipe it clean and install windows, but not sure how. Is there an easy way to do this?
I tried starting up with the windows 7 disk, in hopes it would just "over ride" the other, but no luck. The current OS is uBuntu...not sure if that makes a difference or not.

A. If you have a cd/dvd of the operating system you want, just put in on your optical drive
turn on your computer, press F8 or whatever button to change start up drive, change booth drive to your optical drive, save setting, exit and reboot.
Your computer will read your cd/dvd and will prompt you.
It will find your hard drive and ask you if you want to install it on that drive. (default C drive).
If you have a huge hard drive, you can partition your C drive to whatever size you want.
I prefer to assign only 50 Gig for drive C. Once the operating system is installed, I partition the remaining drive and use it as storage drive.
It fill format the drive and install your operating system.
Just follow the instructions of the install prompts.

If you are still having problems, use a separate computer, search for Hiren's boot cd in .iso format. Download and burn on cd/dvd. Just boot the cd in your used computer. It has a lot of partitioning programs you can choose to reformat your hard drive.

What is the BEST Linux OS to use in conjunction with Windows 7 Professional OS?
Q. I very much like Linux and am very new to Windows 7 Professional OS (that's the reason for all the Windows 7 Professional questions on here, which I do appreciate everyone's helpful responses). Can you recommend a Linux OS that would complement Windows 7 Professional OS? A computer technician friend recommend Ubuntu. Thank you in advance, my friends, as I truly appreciate your helpfulness. :-)

A. Dual boot Ubuntu.
You will still be able to access and edit your Windows files from Ubuntu which will make the eventual transition to a Windows free world easier.
Imagine never having to pay for software again, thats life with Ubuntu.

eb

Is it necessary for a physicist to master Linux OS?
Q. Hello everyboby! I have a question about computer operating system,that is: Is it necessary for a scientist to master Linux OS?

I mean physicist and astronomer, I've heard that physicists and astronomers usually use Linux/UNIX, not Microsoft Windows. Is it true? Lots of people say that Linux/UNIX is very difficult to use, I've tried Ubuntu Linux and found it's really hard to use.
Thank you!

A. It would take much more time, study, difficulty and definitely expensive schooling to become a Physicist than a become a Master of Linux. I became pretty proficient in using Linux after about 2 years of just being one of my hobbies. It didn't seem very difficult, just required some dedication to learn new ways to use computers. Linux knowledge is not required for my job, but it certainly has added to my abilities as a computer service and repair technician. It certainly would be useful to know Linux and a programming language like Python if you are going to do any physics or astronomy computer simulations. I have read many comments from Physicists on Slashdot.com, I don't know if it required, but it certainly sounds like a useful skill for them.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment