Thursday, January 31, 2013

What is the corresponding free command on an AIX machine?

Q. I'm programming on a machine running IBM AIX version 6.1. I'm trying to profile the memory usage so I'm looking for a command similar to the free command on Linux distributions. Help

A. svmon and vmstat

How do you show the processes that are running in linux under a command line?
Q. And, how do you show how much memory and cpu each is using?

A. Check out the manpage for ps. The most common syntax is "ps auxww" which will show PID, CPU usage, Memory usage, process name, etc for each process that is running on your system. "top" shows real time information and ranks processes by their CPU/RAM usage.

What slows down computers besides memory usage?
Q. I just deleted a whole lot from my laptop, and I ran a 'defragmentation' on the hard-drive, but it's still going really slow. Any ideas?
More detail: It's slow to open programs or new windows. There's a delay between when I click an icon and when the window opens.

A. Are you familiar with the Task manager? (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) The task manager will show you which processes are using you processor power and how much virtual memory.

What version of Windozes? Have you tried using a registry cleaner? Do you have a reliable anti-virus?

When I used to use Windozes, I had to wipe it about every 6 months and start over. It just seemed to get unstable after prolonged use. I now use Ubuntu Linux.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment