Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What is a good free dnla media server for windows 7, similar to playon?

Q. I am trying to use a media server that is similar to playon, but free. I bought a sony bdps570, it is dnla enabled, I'm trying to use tversity, which I do like, and found out it is not dlna. I would really like to have it hulu compatible (free, not hulu plus) and play from my library (my harddrive). If you use a particular one, please tell me why you like it. Thanks for your input.

A. Try this link, it has a list of programs

http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux

How To Make A Simple Home Media Server?
Q. Hi guys, I am wondering how I can make a simple home media server running from an old server computer I have. Does anyone know of anyone linux distros that will let me stream videos from that computer to a windows or mac comuter? Or can I just open a video from the windows or mac machine from the server??? Could anyone help me achieve this please? All I want is to be able to use my server computer to keep videos and music and then watch them from another part of my house...
Thanks,
waco001

A. Any distro will work (light weight would be better - Ubuntu Server CLI). Just install Samba for file sharing, openssh so you can have a headless server, and a program to stream/transcode your music/movies. There are many, but I use PS3 Media Server. Written in jave, runs on Windows, GNU/Linux, and Mac. I had many problems with Media Tomb and others. PS3 Media Server worked the easiest.

If you can connect a computer to your TV, you can use XBMC. With it there is no need for the server to transcode the media. If your computer is too old or slow you may have problems with the transcoding/streaming of video.

Can a file and media server be created in a Linux system?
Q. I'm using Ubuntu 6.06 and I wish to create a file and media server on it. I've used Samba for the file server part.

What about for the media part? Can it be done?

Can it be in the same desktop or does it has to be on two?

Which media server software is the most compatible with an Ubuntu file server?

A. There are inbuilt facilities for most of your requirements, the apache web server is a good basis for adding your media server. Look through the Linux forums, this is not my field, you will definitely find what you want.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment