Friday, April 26, 2013

What is a good Linux Media Centre for the PS3?

Q. I want to be able to easily stream media files to my PS3 over wifi, however the PS3 OS doesnt support many of the files and I dont like alot of the transcoders (e.g. orb, tversity, etc). So I was wondering if the was a good media centre software like XBMC for PS3 linux?

It has to be able to work on an SDTV (576i).

A. Sure, it's called Mplayer.

That's kind of a joke. There is a "media center" version of Ubuntu but I don't think it has a ps3 platform release.

The first thing you must do with linux is break the addiction to the do-it-all software that people use with windows. Nobody makes that stuff i linux because there's no money in it; but on the other hand, having to do it yourself clues you in to the secret they don't want you to know, that it's easy and you don't need to depend on all the commercial stuff and malware (for example, ps3video9 which spies on your pc).

Here is where to get ps3 ubuntu:

http://www.psubuntu.com

Try intrepid or Jaunty, Hardy never quite worked right on ps3. (i.e. use version 7.10, 8.10, or 9.xx)

Once you've got it installed, open synaptic package manager, run a search for Mplayer, and download and install it. Find medibuntu.com for the restricted codecs you'll need, because they don't include them on the install disc.

Mplayer can watch any video stream and pretty much handle any format, and under ps3 linux, it's the only decent video player. It's been patched to compensate for the RSX being locked under linux. The video doesn't look very good, but it's not so crappy either.

If you want a upnp client specifically, use synaptic to search for one, I'm sure they're there. But with Mplayer, all you really need to do is set up a stream with WMP or VLC from your pc, then you should be able to view it with Mplayer on your ps3.

Ubuntu does work in SD but it's not very much fun. There aren't really any good distros for 576i. Video will work, but not look so great.

You might want to just get a better transcoder. I don't know what tversity uses but there's lots of good gui's for ffmpeg. Try getting firefox 3.0 if you don't already have it, then find and download the download manager add-on, and then the manager's converter add-on. This converter is basically an ffmpeg GUI and you can hand it entire folders of video, with default or custom conversion instructions. If you've got a bunch of downloaded .wmv videos, you can just pass them to the converter with settings to convert to .mp4 under lavcodec, same quality, audio libfaac, and you'll end up with a folder of videos your ps3 can watch via upnp, within an hour or two.

What is the best equipment I should get in order to create a media center?
Q. I want to create a Media Centre in my living room -- would like some help with respect to what PC + other equipment I should buy and what types of software I should use in order to create a cool media center (e.g. to watch/record TV, browse internet, listen to music, look at photos etc)

A. If you are interested in non-Windows solution, I would definitely recommend MythTV on Linux with a Hauppauge PVR250/350 TV tuner card. It is very powerful and comes with all the features you want and more. It requires some time to set up but once you do, believe me, its worth it.

How do I hook up a Linux computer to the internet using an XP host?
Q. I am running Fedora Core 5 on my laptop and I have Windows XP Media Center on my desktop which is connected to the internet via LAN. I want to know how I can connect to the internet from my laptop using my desktop's net connection. I already have all the physical connections set up (network adapters and cable) and I'm already using my network for file sharing. Please don't offer any suggestions on using Linux as host (I already know how much safer it is). I want help on dealing with situation as it.

Incidentally, I'm also facing trouble using ICS from my XP partition on the laptop. It used to work flawlessly before, but I think after I installed Fedora it stopped working (although file and printer sharing areOK). I ran the ICS wizard again on each comp, but it didn't work. Any suggestions on what might cause that?

A. First of all ICS or a proxy service are the way to go.
XP is a bit limited with other choices. If you already
had ICS set up for the XP partition the same settings
will work for the fedora one.

For the other part. No. Linux has nothing to do with it.
The ICS configuration ist just settings within the XP
partition. Linux can't change that. You have recently
installed a firewall or made some firewall rule changes
on either of the crates?



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment