Saturday, April 20, 2013

How do I save my preferences in Ubuntu Linux?

Q. I am brand new to Linux; I have it booting from my external USB hard drive. I see places to change settings (theme, time, etc.) but there isn't really an equivalent of the "Apply" button, and when I close the windows, the changes aren't saved...

What am I doing wrong?
I have tried pressing Enter, double clicking, all the things that usually indicate a selection.

A. This tutorial on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex shows a close button at the bottom of the screen saver preferences window and i think it's the same as the appearance preferences window.

http://beginlinux.com/desktop_training/ubuntu/1089-ubuntu-screen-saver

Changes made here are applied immediately after selecting the changes not with an apply button.

So in that tutorial the screen saver is actually changed when a new one is selected, not after a button turns it on.

Hope this helps.

Does Cisco and Linux use the same type of password hashing?
Q. I know cisco has a version 7 and a version 5; but Linux has md 5, is that the same thing as Cisco's version 5?
Thanks for the insight.

A. Linux (And just about everyone else) uses MD5 or SHA-1 for hashing. I am no Cisco expert, but I would imagine they would use MD5 or some variation of SHA as well, as these are the most ubiquitous of hashes on the modern Internet.

I could be wrong though, I haven't trained for my CCNA yet, I'm just going by what I learned so far.

What is the best certificate in Linux and/or Unix?
Q. I have the intention to master Linux and/ or Unix (I am not sure yet but most probably Linux), so I am searching for the best certificate to study for it, so far I found RHCE and LPIC, I think they may be more.
Please tell me what is the best certificate that would verify my abilities and skills in Linux??
Thanks...

A. Novell also has certifications: http://www.novell.com/training/certinfo/
You can also get certified in Solaris (which is also a Unix-ish OS): http://in.sun.com/training/certification/solaris/index.xml

I'm not sure which certification would be in the highest demand. Certainly Red Hat has the most brand-recognition for the Enterprise. Novell is also well known, and additionally has Netware, which is an alternative to Active Directory. Solaris has a reputation for being rock solid (and notorious for being difficult to administer), but I don't know how much demand there are for Solaris Sysadmins vs. Linux.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment