Saturday, January 12, 2013

What do you think about a free operating system?

Q. I've read there are some free operating systems. Can anyone tell me about them and where you get them? Do they run like Windows or would I have to learn a whole new system? Do they include a lot of drivers so it can find the drivers I'd need since I don't have them for my computer? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

A. I tried Ubuntu about a year ago....best OS I have ever seen. And I was around computers before Windows was born.
It is a little different- but much better and easier than any windows product.

The only downside is that if you are a gamer....you will need to keep windows.

P.S. I am still using Ubuntu. Ubuntu can use KDE, XFCE, or Gnome desktop.

Google will come out with Chrome OS later this year. They have already released Chrome browser. It will be a free OS.
There are over 100 different Linux OS's. Most are free. They usually all come with all the applications you will ever need- free of course.

What is the best free operating system for a computer?
Q. So pretty much what is the best free operating system? By operating system I mean examples like window, vista, ect.
Anyways what's the best one?

A. Windows is not free, so that's out. Mac OS X isn't free, so that's out.

That leaves Linux for the most part. There are a truckload of different versions, but Ubuntu seems to be the popular one for people just getting into it. I've also seen Linux Mint recommended.

There are also an assortment of others, such as Unix (FreeBSD seems to be the most common there) and other even more obscure ones, such as BeOS and its spawn, Haiku, ReactOS, an attempt to build a Windows-compatible OS, and many other little ones.

What's the best free operating system for my old computer, why, and where can I download a CD image for it?
Q. I have a very old computer currently running Windows 95, that I'd like to fix up for my little siblings for schoolwork. Can you recommend a free operating system that I could download a CD image for (the computer doesn't have a DVD-RAM drive)?
Please include why you recommend this operating system, and a link to where I can download it.
Thanks

A. i suggest linux abuntu what you will need to do is go to the link iv given then you need to download linux abuntu.. then you will also need to get a program off the internet that can burn data to cd's as an iso image once you have that burn your iso image ov linux abuntu to the cd... then you will have to insert the disk then reset your computer and you will need to change the bios.. to change the bios you will need to press esc or delete befor your pc starts up... when your in the bios look for the start up options then set it to... launch from disk then save your new settings and restart pc then you can install linux abunut good luck..




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment