Friday, January 11, 2013

How can I install and replace the new Ubuntu Linux?

Q. Hello everyone !
I have Ubuntu Linux version 9.04 installed in one partition of my laptop. There's a newer better version that has just been released (10.04) And I want to install it, but at the same time replace the old one completely with the new installation.
What is the best way to do this ? The way that it's less error-prone, or the easiest way.

Note. I have Windows installed as well and I use GRUB for dual booting.

A. Ubuntu 10.04 at present is unstable

For the time being I would suggest staying with Ubuntu 9.04 or perhaps an upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 both of which are fine releases

How To Upgrade Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) To 9.10 (Karmic Koala) (Desktop & Server)
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu9.04-jaunty-jackalope-to-9.10-karmic-koala-desktop-and-server

Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) User Guide
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Karmic


LUg.

Looking For a Good Free Linux version for kids, that can run without a hard drive?
Q. My niece other uncle(on her father side) gave her old computer, it doesn't run. But thats not the reason I ask, I have a smaller old internet computer, that I feel will be better for her(as I am her mother's bother, and it has a less energy drain then the old Dell has). My niece is only five years old, and all she needs it for is playing games, and doing pre-school work or something.

The linux version should run from a CD, so it must be a small installation, it also should be kid friendly.
ubuntu I would like, as it is nice, and it has the look and feel of windows, but its to large for a cd, maybe several cds, or a Live DVD, but not a cd. The computer had a linux based cd, but it got loss down the line, and it was old, so anything that will run on a CD, that easy to install first off, because i tried to use Damn Small, but I didn't understand the installation process
Thank you basilb101, for clearifing, I thought Mr. Micro was misspelling ubuntu

A. I like the suggestion of Edubuntu but it is a big download/install and liveCD will slow the computer down, i would suggest an install of edubuntu or puppy linux (under 150MB), maybe you could splash out on a IDE compact flash card?
Puppy linux is never truly installed it just moves files from the disk/flash drive to the ram it needs 128MB (i think!) or else a hdd for virtual memory
EDIT; ubuntu/kubuntu/edubuntu/xubuntu are all availabl on a single dvd which would be alot faster than a 700MB download but i don't think edubuntu is available on CD

What would it take to make you change from Windows to Linux?
Q. Personally I would switch tomorrow if all of the software I used was compatible with Linux.

I hope that with the average person coming out of school being more computer savy these days we will see more and more software developers releasing Linux versions.
I have tried Linux in the past and wasn't very fond of it, at that time I was not aware of all the different types available such as Red Hat and Ubuntu. There are versions out there easy to get to grips with and similar to Windows.

A. A direct port of Microsoft Office not a watered down version like they made for Mac. I have tried open office I don't like it.

More automation, I would like to be abe to double click an install file and have it install - I hate hate HATE using the Linux command terminal it is like pulling teeth.

A better IM client I think kMess and GAIM are crap - and a better music player I don't like amarok and WinAmp style media players I just don't like them and I won't 'get used to them over time'.

Did I mention how much I hate using the terminal?

Better games, Linux supports OpenGL and has tonnes of C++ compilers etc, there really is no excuse for not having better games.

Faster boot times, every version of Linux I have tried took ages to boot and my PC isn't exactly low spec, its got a Core 2 Duo @ 1.83ghz with 2 gigs of RAM it shouldn't take so long to boot.

And finally I really like to nosey around and change things when I muck up Windows its easy to restore, Linux isn't I want better recovery options for when theings do go wong because the always do.

I don't ask for much really.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment