Sunday, January 6, 2013

Installing Linux Ubuntu on top of my Oracle Virtual Machine Box?

Q. I'm new to virtual machines. Now i'm having Ubuntu installed on my virtual machine. Its setup wizard asked me about either allocating disk partitions for it or else it'll erase the whole hard disk. I'm confused. Didn't Oracle Virtual Machine Box just save me a portion of disk space earlier? I want to do this right. Help me, please.

A. I felt the same way when I first set up Ubuntu. When it it says it will erase the whole disk, it just means what you have dedicate to that machine. All Ubuntu can see if what you have given. Your OS on your actual computer will not be erased!

Just to make sure though, when you install Ubuntu, click on "Something else" and it will show you your hard drive. If for some reason it shows the whole hard drive, go back and create the virtual machine again.

Hope this helps

What are the top 5 important Linux distributions?
Q.

A. #1 Ubuntu
#2 Knoppix
#3 Mepis
#4 Ulteo
#5 DSL
I personally use Ubuntu and LOVE IT!

Installing Windows XP on top of a Linux OS?
Q. How do I install Windows XP on a machine already running on Linux OS? I want to have both installed and be able to select which one to run when the computer boots. Is it possible to perform a partial partition so I can install XP?

A. How to dual boot Linux and Windows XP (Linux installed first)
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_installed_first.htm

For this to avoid issues with GRUB I thoroughly recommend Linux Mint 7 Main Edition which is built upon Ubuntu 9.04 Its easy to install and easy to use plus it comes with much of the software you are likely to need preinstalled

Linux Mint 7 Download
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=38

The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 7 (Gloria)
http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-linux-mint-7-gloria

Linux Mint 7 Gloria User Guide
http://www.scribd.com/doc/15884753/Linux-Mint-7-Gloria-User-Guide

You download the ISO. image of Linux Mint 7 then you need to create a Bootable LiveCD for installation

Linux Mint 7 can also be run direct from the LiveCD from Booting up without touching your Hard Drive


LUg.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment