Sunday, January 6, 2013

How do I find the "executable" to direct a Linux desktop entry?

Q. I am trying to create a desktop entry for Lightscribe SimpleLabeler to add it to my Applications menu in Fedora 12. However, I can't seem to get the "Exec=" line to work. I realize this is a novice question, but what do I put in that field, and how do I find it?
This IS a Linux version of the software. The software is NOT the issue, simply creating a desktop entry for the program IS.

A. Jaxlyne without knowing if u r on KDE or GNOME it is a bit difficult but select "customize menu" for instance in GNOME it could be something like RIGHT click on the "applications" icon select "edit or cusomize menu" then "add new entry"

Now the way to go is exactly the same as in Windows if it didnt appear in the start menu you got to link to the executable. Now where is the executable is a bit problematic to find but do use the "locate"command then point to in in the start menu.

RICK

Step by step instructions on what to do after your Linux desktop comes up for the first time?
Q. The desktop came up, but last time it did this and I shut it off, it didn't read the OS.

A. You don't have to do anything in particular. If Linux doesn't show up when you next turn on the computer, there is probably something wrong with your hard drive or BIOS settings.

How to download Redhat Linux Enterprise Desktop free?
Q. Please tell me how to and from where to download Redhat Linux Enterprise Desktop for free. As it is an open source software, the source code has to be available. I heard they are giving the rpm packages of the source. If yes, how do I download it and how do I compile it? What's the difference if I purchase Redhat or compile it from source? Help PLzzz.

A. Unlike most Linux distros. Red Hat itself does not come free of charge
http://www.redhat.com/products/enterprise-linux/

However CentOS and Fedora which come from the Red Hat stable are
http://www.centos.org/
http://fedoraproject.org/


LUg.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment