Sunday, January 27, 2013

How do I create Linux from scratch?

Q. I am looking into building my own Linux from scratch desktop environment. Should I rewrite the Gnome language? I am looking for building the environment with a gui and also command line. I MUST be able to edit the gui! Thank you!

A. You are in the wrong field if you think you're going to re-write "the Gnome GUI". Gnome is a desktop environment and has little to do with the Operating System. Gnome runs on many versions of Unix/Linux.

If you really want to learn linux (from scratch) you have two main options that will teach you plenty. One is a project called "Linux From Scratch" (LFS) and the other is Gentoo. Go ahead and try a stage 1 install. If you don't have X by the end of the week you may seek another hobby. If you want to learn without severe headaches try Slackware. Whatever you do, don't think you are going to re-write a major desktop environment like Gnome or KDE. Start by helping out a smaller project like Fluxbox, Blackbox, WindowMaker, or even Enlightenment.

How is a linux distro actually made?
Q. I'm trying to make a custom distro with LFS (linux from scratch) and I was just wonder, if I was completely serious about developing my own distro to distribute, how would I do it?
I realize that they use C/C++ but I was wondering do they compile it like LFS or do they (IE Ubuntu) make it completely from scratch somehow?

A. c program language as the main

then python for the rest

How can I build a Linux Distro?
Q. I have downloaded the latest stable kernel. How can I make a linux distro from scratch? What do I need?

A. Linux From Scratch (LFS) is a project that provides you with step-by-step instructions for building your own custom Linux system, entirely from source code.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Alternatively, you can easily customize your own Slax linux live right from your browser. If you are new to Linux you probably want to start with something like that.
http://www.slax.org/

Other Linux Distros
http://distrowatch.com/



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment