Thursday, January 24, 2013

Does every game on linux work on every distro?

Q. I wanted to try out Linux. I wanted to either get Fedora or Ubuntu (Mostly Fedora). So I'm a PC gamer, and I wanted to try out the Steam on Linux so my question is:
Most of the games on Steam say that they require one of the three distros Ubuntu, Fedora, and Mint.
Some other games say they only require one (usually Ubuntu) which sort of makes me think that means thats the only one that it will work on. So if it list just one of the distro does that really mean it can't at all run on any other Distro?
By the way the Linux game I'm looking at is Serious Sam 3, which is one of those games that say they only require ubuntu.

A. It depends on how it's packaged.

A game developer that just releases a .deb with Ubuntu in mind just hung Fedora and SUSE users out to dry because they use .rpm packages. Of course if the source code is available one could always compile the game manually, but that doesn't mean that every "Linux program" works on every distribution by default, as they obviously don't.

Steam for Linux is still in Beta, so things are still up in air, as you've noticed with the varying system requirements; it often seems that Valve is really targetting the Ubuntu and Ubuntu-derivative segment because it thinks that's where the biggest user-base is, but I'm sure Fedora and the other rpm distros won't be completely ignored.

What is a good Linux 3-D games that does not require internet connection?
Q. I'm just looking for a good Linux 3-d game that is shooter or adventurous game that can be played without the internet.

A. try medal of honor allied assault
open arena and alien arena
half life 2
and
lot of other games for windows using wine windows emulator winehq.com

What Linux games will work with Kubuntu 9.04?
Q. It didn't come with games and i am wondering what Linux games it will play, if any at all.

A. I believe one of the packages available is called "kde-games". Look for it. I enjoy the ace of penguins suite which mirrors the OLDE Windows 3.1 games -- taipei, freecell solitaire Merlin exccept the face cards all have penguins on them. I was playing canfield when I saw your question. Also of course, you'll have to look around but there are deb packages for quake quake2 and quake3 arena (maybe even quake 4) which games were originally written on a *nix network.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment