Thursday, January 24, 2013

Can I delete a file I want to delete using Puppy Linux LIVE CD ?

Q. I've got vista installed and 3 files that are virus like and are hidden. I can see them when i boot my pc from live cd puppy linux When i double clicked those files and chose delete>quite they were gone. However when I tried to shutdown my pc it asked if i want to save it, i chose i dont because i used live cd , when i run vista again I saw those files i deleted are there again !

Any help?

A. Yes, you can, you need to clean the Trash before to reboot your machine. You can to delete files using the Terminal (or Console) too, with command line, enter in the windows vista installed disk with the Terminal and tip the full path to files you want to delete. But atention, take care with this, it is not possible to recover the files once deleted.

The comand line is:

rm -rf /path to virus file

If you have a doubt, send me a private message, ok?

How is it I play my windows music in Ubuntu?
Q. I'm a Windows XP user trying to switch to Ubuntu linux for no other reason than to feed my geeky hunger. I don't really play any computer games, so my main concern is how am I supposed to access my gigs of music on my Windows folder from Ubuntu? I only have 2 hard drives (if possible to work on Windows hard drive then great), no jump drives or CDs. Thanks for whatever answers. :)

A. first what type of filesystem on these partitions

look first under places > removable media
if they are there then click on it
it will be mounted to system when you do that
the linux system needs any driver to be attached (mounted ) to it's tree in order to deal with it

if they are not there
then open the terminal (accessories > terminal )
which is a shell emulator (command line interface )
then make the points you want to attach the filesystem to it
"sudo mkdir /media/My1"
where My1 is the name of the mount point to which you will attach your partition
be careful that linux is case sensitive
My_Folder is not thw same as my_folder
then
"sudo mount -t [ntfs,vfat] /dev/sd[a,b..1,2,3..] /media/My1"
you have to choose the filesystem type (vfat or ntfs )
which hard drive sda or sdb
which partition 1,2,3...
if you got an error and the filesystem type is right it will be mostly because of unclean shutdown
if you don't know the dev available
type
"ls /dev/ | grep sd"

good luck

How do I power off / shut down a linux computer?
Q. In windows one simply shuts the computer down and it turns off. How do you do this in linux? So far I have just issued a reboot command and then powered it off after it beeped, but now I want to shut it down remotely. Thank you
How to shutdown now gracefully. Previous power off attempts have not turned off the computer totally.

A. sudo shutdown -hP now



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment