Sunday, January 6, 2013

DLNA Media Server for Ubuntu/Linux Mint?

Q. I currently stream my videos from my Windows 7 computer to my Xbox 360 via TVersity. But I have a laptop running Linux Mint (fantastic Ubuntu variant) that I'd also like to stream media from. Is there any DLNA compatible media streamers for Linux that I can use? Preferably something that loads up in the background on startup so I don't have to manually start it whenever I want stream something.

A. I've had ushare working well streaming to a 360 before, which needs a small amount of configuration and will then start at system boot. But having a look on my current Ubuntu 10.04 machine, it seems to have something called Rygel, which is a GNOME interface to upnp/dlna. Looks interesting.

Oh, it's worth keeping in mind that streaming apps that start at boot can be a risk on laptops. It's a little too easy to forget that they're there when you connect your laptop to another network. Anybody on that network can then stream stuff from you, and having services open at all just makes you more vulnerable to attacks.

best linux file permissions for other users (media server)?
Q. Hi,

I have all my music, pictures, and videos in a folder /mnt/6/media/

How do i set this up so i can make user accounts that can browse the contents, open the contents, copy to their computer, but not delete? I am afraid if i give a few roomates access someone will accidently delete.

This is a linux system. Am i correct in assuming the following?

User: bob is default in wheel group and secondary in ftp.

randy owns /mnt/6/


Any additional users should be put in the FTP group and /mnt/6/ and recurssive files should all be set to 755?

This gives bob (the owner) ability to write, delete, etc, and additional users in the FTP group to read and play the content but not delete?

Thanks for clarifying.

A. You don't need the execute bit set to read, just the read bit. (744)

Also you don't need to do it via FTP, but an use samba or NFS.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment