Monday, January 7, 2013

What is the best or easiest Linux to start using LFS on?

Q. I'm starting for the first time to use Linux from Scratch, but it says I have to use it on a 32-bit Linux. Which Linux would be easy to start on?

Any other help about starting to use LFS would help. What is Linux from Script??????????????????

A. Slackware would be a good choice, it includes most (all?) of the tools you'll need to start building your system.

What is the best way to build Linux for Scratch?
Q. I tried to make it my own distro right on my 8 gb hard drive but i ran into sooo sooo many errors like make and configure errors. I wanted to see how someone with experience started off. With a linux-swap partition? I just want everything to run smoothly. Please give me any tips or anything that would help

A. LSF is not for beginners.
Read and follow the directions VERY carefully. Even a slight mistake will result in failure.
1. Read the manual
2. If you have a problem you can get specific help on the IRC or mailing list for LSF. Post exactly what you have done and the errors you get.
Good luck

What is the best type of linux for a beginning programmer?
Q. I just started software developing at ASU and my teacher recommends using linux over windows but I've seen all different formats and i don't know which one is the best to start off with i would be dual booting with vista 64 bit

A. For developing I would go with one of the technical distributions such as slackware or gentoo. The only thing is they are not only very UNIX-like, they are tough to wrap your brain around generally. Mark Shuttleworth, who started Ubuntu, got his start on Slackware.

Generally I would go with one with a KDE desktop. XFCE4 is nice -- that's my preferred desktop -- however KDE has a LOT tools which make programming easier. And slackware of course offers KDE and XFCE4 as its default desktops. It does not offer GNOME.

The downside of Ubuntu and its derivatives is that one of the innovations of Ubuntu is precisely that it does not offer easy access to the GNU tools, including GCC and make and gdb -- the debugger. You have to go to synaptic or open a terminal and type "sudo apt-get build-essential".

The technical linuxes, Debian, Slackware, Fedora, Gentoo -- or Linux from Scratch -- demand that you get comfortable with the command line. Nevertheless, even for a beginning programmer, I would precisely say that those are the best type of Linux -- or let's face it, GNU/Linux -- for a beginning programmer.

Also, Debian and Fedora have live CDs available, while you can get A taste of Slackware (though they don't say so) using dyne:bolic ( http://www.dynebolic.org ) or slax ( http://www.slax.org ) both of which are live cds. Therefore you can try them without installing them on your hard drive yet at all -- highly recommended.



Read More Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment