Sunday, January 6, 2013

what do i have to do to install Linux on my dell inspiron 1100 lap top?

Q. please help me i would like to get this working i have a linux cd from ubuntu.

A. All you have to do is

1. If you want it as the only OS on the machine, just be sure to have your CD drive as the 1st boot device in the BIOS.

2. If you want to have two Operating Systems on the machine, you have to have at least 2 partitions. You can install Linux on one of those partitions if you have 11 or more GB of space. Just be sure you know which partition you are going to install it to, so you won't wipe out data on the wrong partition. If you want to run Windows also, you have to have Windows installed first.

I have Windows XP Pro and PCLinux2007 on my Fujitsu laptop. I had zero trouble setting up my connection to my WiFi to the Internet, and zero trouble setting up my Epson printer to print to. It was a fast and easy install and I highly recommend it as the easiest Linux I have tried to date. The firewall is easy to set up also and is included.

I used Norton Partition Magic to create other partitions while running Windows XP. Linux uses ext2 or ext3 partition type. Windows XP uses NTFS. Slip in your install CD, and reboot. You can install upon reboot.

Good luck and enjoy.

P.S. Check here for Ubuntu support
http://www.ubuntu.com/support

Installing Linux Ubuntu on top of my Oracle Virtual Machine Box?
Q. I'm new to virtual machines. Now i'm having Ubuntu installed on my virtual machine. Its setup wizard asked me about either allocating disk partitions for it or else it'll erase the whole hard disk. I'm confused. Didn't Oracle Virtual Machine Box just save me a portion of disk space earlier? I want to do this right. Help me, please.

A. I felt the same way when I first set up Ubuntu. When it it says it will erase the whole disk, it just means what you have dedicate to that machine. All Ubuntu can see if what you have given. Your OS on your actual computer will not be erased!

Just to make sure though, when you install Ubuntu, click on "Something else" and it will show you your hard drive. If for some reason it shows the whole hard drive, go back and create the virtual machine again.

Hope this helps

What are the top 5 important Linux distributions?
Q.

A. #1 Ubuntu
#2 Knoppix
#3 Mepis
#4 Ulteo
#5 DSL
I personally use Ubuntu and LOVE IT!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment