Thursday, January 10, 2013

What are the main differences between Linux Mint 12 and Linux Mint Debian?

Q. Obviously one is based on ubuntu and the other based on Debian, but what are the package differences? What kind of software do they/don't they have?

A. Linux Mint Debian is a rolling distribution. I keeps on getting incremental updates, and you don't have to reinstall it. Linux Mint 12, on the other hand, gets periodic major upgrades which you have to install.

What type of package do I use on Linux Mint 9?
Q. Most software I find isn't packaged specifically for Linux Mint. So I was wondering, do I use the packages for Ubuntu or the one classified under other or all distros?

I figured other or all would make more sense, but I thought since Linux Mint is from Ubuntu maybe its OK.

Yes, I'm new to Linux >.> Thanks for any help.

A. Any package ending with .deb should be installable in Linux Mint. That means any packages designed for Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or any other Debian derivatives will be fine.

What is the most streamlined method of upgrading the Linux kernel?
Q. I have tried several methods but I am looking that streamlines the process to a minimum. Does anyone know of such a method.

Distros.

Ubuntu>Linux Mint>Fedora
I am looking to upgrade to the latest Linux kernel

A. A generic kernel made for testing for the next version of your flavor of linux. For mepis, a debian based flavor, I add a sid repository to my apt/sources.list, aptitude update, and then install the latest kernel. I then comment out or delete the line in apt/sources.list, and test that I haven't hosed my applications. I did say to make a backup first didn't I?




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment