Thursday, January 10, 2013

On crunchbang Linux everything is incredibly small and I can't see a thing. Is there any fix?

Q. I'm unable to do anything with my crunchbang. Please help.

A. Most solutions require that you are able to see a menu item or open a terminal and type a command since you cannot see ANYTHING the only solution is to reinstall it and be aware of any options for font size and video formats when you do.
Good luck

is it possible to update crunchbang linux whilst running it from usb?
Q. i run my crunchbang from usb (to avoid the bothersome choice everytime i turn on my computer) is there any way for the updates to stick whilst running it from the usb?

A. No. I'm guessing that your distribution is running from an image on the USB. You'd have to update a real installation and create a new Live USB image.

And is the choice more bothersome than not being able to keep your distribution up to date?

How can i tell which files a specific process is using in ubuntu?
Q. I am trying to find out where a temp file for a program is being stored. im sure linux has a way of doing this (seemingly?) simple task.

thanks

A. I have 'conky' set up to give me information about top processes as part of my wallpaper - but I think for detail, you can go through GUI or terminal, up to you. You should search for information about conky in Crunchbang forums.

If you prefer mousey answers, then using GUI - open system monitor (add it to your panel, right click and open from there maybe) - processes, and view 'command line'

Problem is that GUI affects your system too much, so better open terminal (install terminator, it's very cool, also install cowsay cos that's really cool too)

type 'htop'

if it isn't installed, your terminal will tell you exactly how to get it ;)

I'm apt to think you'll get my meaning B-)

With terminator, you can actually run HTOP, and you can remove the scrollbar and window border too - and actually have just a display like a widget on your desktop. To move windows with no decoration, you press a modifier (usually ALT and drag with the mouse, but if you had problems with GIMP shortcuts, you should change the function for 'move' window to use 'ctrl+alt')

Ok? anything else? :P




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment