Monday, January 7, 2013

Is software I write for one Linux distribution compatible for all Linux distributions?

Q. I'm thinking about writing some stuff for an easy to get distro like Ubuntu, then trying it on an embedded Linux platform with an ARM processor.

Will I have issues porting it over?

I'm not a computer newb entirely, but I am a Linux newb for the most part.

A. Probably... Everything in linux is built from packets (As you probably know by now) - you want to make sure you know which packets you need... My APGUI project needs GTK, Python, Pygtk and APG before it will run...

If your app is entirely self-contained... Gratz, you are one of the only 5 people who write apps that way :)

How can I get an introduction as to how Linux is used in Embedded Applications?
Q. I wish to have a dive (not swim very deep though) into Embedded Linux.
Are there any good resources on the internet that you would like to recommend?
Please note that I know the C language inside out and have also done micro-controllers programming even though it was without any RTOS.

A. See the guide here: http://www.scratchbox.org/documentation/general/tutorials/introduction.html

Where is the best source to have a custom hardware device designed and built?
Q. I am looking for a resource or a tech shop to custom design and build a hardware device to my specifications with embedded Linux. Where is the best place to find a firm who designs custom hardware devices?

A. You can TRY this place. I don't know if they'll do you any good or not but it's a start:

http://www.directron.com/contact.html

I just called them, myself, to see if they offered the services you describe, but they're in Texas and it's 8:45 pm there right now!...and they're closed.

I hope this helps. Good luck!



Read More Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment