Wednesday, January 16, 2013

is it possible to update crunchbang linux whilst running it from usb?

Q. i run my crunchbang from usb (to avoid the bothersome choice everytime i turn on my computer) is there any way for the updates to stick whilst running it from the usb?

A. No. I'm guessing that your distribution is running from an image on the USB. You'd have to update a real installation and create a new Live USB image.

And is the choice more bothersome than not being able to keep your distribution up to date?

How can i tell which files a specific process is using in ubuntu?
Q. I am trying to find out where a temp file for a program is being stored. im sure linux has a way of doing this (seemingly?) simple task.

thanks

A. I have 'conky' set up to give me information about top processes as part of my wallpaper - but I think for detail, you can go through GUI or terminal, up to you. You should search for information about conky in Crunchbang forums.

If you prefer mousey answers, then using GUI - open system monitor (add it to your panel, right click and open from there maybe) - processes, and view 'command line'

Problem is that GUI affects your system too much, so better open terminal (install terminator, it's very cool, also install cowsay cos that's really cool too)

type 'htop'

if it isn't installed, your terminal will tell you exactly how to get it ;)

I'm apt to think you'll get my meaning B-)

With terminator, you can actually run HTOP, and you can remove the scrollbar and window border too - and actually have just a display like a widget on your desktop. To move windows with no decoration, you press a modifier (usually ALT and drag with the mouse, but if you had problems with GIMP shortcuts, you should change the function for 'move' window to use 'ctrl+alt')

Ok? anything else? :P

What was your opinion when you upgraded from XP to Ubuntu?
Q. I am wondering what you think of Ubuntu when you upgraded from the outdated and insecure XP.

I used Ubuntu, and find it is far more complete and more secure then anything ever seen from Microsoft.

You can actually use it without no security software because everyone targets Windows.

I will never go back to Windows. (Note: This is from a person who said a few months back that "Linux is for script kiddies" or "Linux is only used to inflate your computer ego".

A. I really wasn't impressed when I installed Ubuntu 7.04 from a CD. I was happy with the 25 minutes installation time, but then had loads of stupid problems - firstly I couldn't connect to wireless internet, and then I had problems trying to mount things, and found that I had to manually edit text files to set some things up....

What else - well the first thing that started to change my mind is that whilst editing one text file, I restarted and had no desktop - it wouldn't load at all, and I decided to try something. I'd set up an alias already 'sudo apt-get install' is just 'install' on my system.

I typed 'install gnome-desktop'

And it did. Wow. Then with Ubuntu 8.10 most of the issues were ironed out - just eight months later!!! Hard drives just appear and I could just format to NTFS if I wanted to, great - good for USB's.

I still have XP - but gradually I used it less, and less, and less - and now it's only for Windows games - I disabled the networking. Ubuntu works perfectly straight from a fresh install of Jaunty 9.04 - Printer, Wifie, Monitor - everything is perfect from the start.

Summary - I wasn't impressed when I first tried Ubuntu, it's too different and seems harder.

Now, however, I laugh at the amount of time I took to install XP last year, because Ubuntu installs in 25 minutes - including drivers for most stuff (nVidia is a 5 minutes download, and I have .deb installers for my printer).

I also have XP in a virtualbox for anyting that refuses to run on ubuntu and has no decent replacement (i.e. ACDSee Pro2 for moving pictures from Camera to Computer because it has a couple of killer lighting adjustment tools).

I never missed Photoshop, it is too hard and complicated - and I learned to do ten times as much stuff in GIMP in just 6 months using it (than with 3 years working with Photoshop)

Then, of course, sekurity - forgot even how to spell that. Why do you need to worry about security with your computer? just make a strong password and it's finished right? Surely nobody would ship an operating system that is Insecure by default!!!

But I can tell you, if you get interested in something like 'conky' you'll start getting really interested to edit a text file and make it your own (google search for 'crunchbang' and 'conky' and find a really cool forum for it.

Mac is for inflating ego - Mac is the BMW (based on freeBSD actually, but with layers on top that aren't open) and priced like a Benz - it's over priced and fine for poseurs everywhere.

I actually like the Mac 'globalmenu' concept, so I found out how to install it on Ubuntu - nice way to save on vertical screenspace.

Join the party, go to linuxoutlaws.com and sign up for their very funny podcast (they do a really cool 'microwatch' section every week)>

You'll love it, it's a real blast :P

BTW - never use 'Automatix' but DO use 'Ubuntu Tweak'



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment