Friday, January 18, 2013

How to remove Linux Mint from my flash drive to install a different distro of Linux?

Q. I installed Linux Mint 10 to my flash drive using the UNetBootin program. I only wanted to give it a test run. Now that I know Linux, I want a different distro. I was just wondering if there was a way to take off the Linux OS from my 4 gig flash drive. Thanks!

A. Which ever Linux you decide on should automatically reformat the flash drive and install itself in place of what was already on the flash drive. If not, you would reformat it with the required Linux partitions and install the new one.

How do I establish a linux operatings system that would be similar to windows?
Q. Linux is free right. So if I have to buy a new hardrive, I won't need windows which is expensive. But how do I know which I should use. There seems to be many different linux operating system.

A. There are many flavours so you need to decide what you want to do with it (use it as a server, as a desktop etc). There are distributions who offer Live CD's. You boot up from a Live CD and are able to test that particular distribution without actually having to install it until you decide it's good for you.

Search on the net for tips about choosing a linux distribution.
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Choosing_a_Linux_distribution

Ubuntu should be good for a beginner.

How can I start Linux and what distribution do you think I should use?
Q. I want to use Linux because I have heard that it is significantly better than IE. My entire family is technologically inept and we only have one computer. How do you think I should start and what distribution do you recommend for a beginner who plans on programming and the like?Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated.

A. I thoroughly recommend two Linux distros.

Linux Mint 9 Main Edition which is based upon Ubuntu 10.04

Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) which is based upon Debian Lenny/Squeeze

Both are easy to install and use plus they come with much of the software you are likely to need preinstalled

Linux Mint 9 Download
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=52

The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 9 (Isadora)
http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-linux-mint-9-isadora

Linux Mint Debian Download
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=66

Linux Mint 9/Debian User Guide pdf.
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_isadora.php
http://linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php

HowTo install Nvidia Graphics Drivers on Debian
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Installapre-builtmodule

Alternatively install Linux Mint as a dual-boot with Windows using mint4win without partitioning mint4win works the same as Wubi as described below (not available on Linux Mint Debian)
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/wubi

You keep Windows as it is, mint4win only adds an extra option to boot into Linux Mint. mint4win does not require you to modify the partitions of your PC, or to use a different bootloader, and does not install special drivers. It works just like any other application.

mint4win keeps most of the files in one folder, and if you do not like it, you can simply uninstall it as any other application.

Boot in to windows insert the Linux Mint LiveCD and you will offered the option of installing inside windows which is where the mint4win installer comes in, you will be asked how many gigabytes you wish to allocate to Linux Mint (I recommend 8gb) then you set a password for your installation then click install and thats it.

Once Linux Mint is fully installed upon starting your PC you will be given a choice of which operating system you want to use Windows or Linux Mint

You download the ISO. image of Linux Mint 9 or Linux Mint Debian then you need to create a Bootable LiveCD/DVD for installation

Linux Mint 9 and Linux Mint Debian can also be run direct from the LiveCD/DVD from Booting up without touching your Hard Drive




LUg.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment