Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How to reinstall windows XP without harming Redhat Linux?

Q. I have installed Windows XP and Redhat Linux on my computer. My windows XP is corrupt. I am planning to reinstall XP but I dont know how to do it without doing anything. Last time when I formatted the drive where XP was installed, even my redhat linux got deleted. Please give me the complete instructions to reinstall Windows XP without harming Redhat Linux.

A. You reinstall windows xp on the partition that you have set up for it in the first place. Then Use SuperGRUB (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ ) to load back into Red Hat and reinstall/fix the GRUB.

SuperGRUB Doc. Fixing GRUB:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Howto_Fix_Grub

How do i connect to redhat linux server by using vncviewer even user is logged out?
Q. I successfully connect to the redhat linux server by using 3rd parties vncviewer. But when the user (root) user is logged out, i am unable to establish the connection again! Why, can anyone helps on this? Because i've tried to search on the web, cant find the solution... thanks a lot....
But when the user is logged out, it cant be connected, how?

A. To start the server on the linux box, as the user type:
$ vncserver
It will come back with something like "started server on localhost:1" (I can't remember the exact syntax - the bit you are interested in is the :1)
To connect to this from another computer (running windoze, linux or any other client) you must use the :1 bit too, ie connect to:
machinename:1
Because linux is a true multiuser environment you are able to launch multiple desktops, :1, :2, :3 etc. These go over ports 5901, 5902, 5903 etc. Windoze (not being multiuser) does not allow you to start a new desktop for a VNC session and only allows you the one which goes over port 5900 and is machinename:0

How can I have both Microsoft Windows XP Professional and RedHat Linux on my computer?
Q. I have Microsoft Windows Xp professinal on my computer and I want to install RedHat Linux. I don't want to miss Windows or any other of my informations. The problem is that GRUB( Linux's default boot loader) can't can't understand that I have Windows Xp on my computer. So if I install Linux on my computer I'll miss Windows. If you know a way, please tell me.

A. yeah it can be done its called dual booting heres how

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/ch-x86-dualboot.html




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment