Sunday, January 13, 2013

How to install linux on a virus-infected computer?

Q. So, I unzipped the files I downloaded from Ubuntu. Then I burned them on a blank DVD. Now, I'm trying to run it on my other computer, and it doesn't work. When I put the disk into my laptop, it asks me if I want to run the wubi install. I'm trying to install it right on my hard drive.

A. Oh boy here we go(this is gonna be long, but I love to send people away from Windows and into Linux).
OK SO, when your pc boots up hit ESC as soon as you see the computer manufacturers logo(Dell, HP, Compaq, Acer, whatever it is). Then depending on your computer you will want to look around for the "Boot Sequence" Once you find it, put your "Internal CD/DVD-ROM" device on the top. then, insert the dvd then reboot, you should automatically boot to the Ubuntu DVD.
Good luck
Linux Rocks btw.

How to make an Apache Server using Linux?
Q. Hi I am using linux debian on an old imac g3. I have gotten the web server up to a point where I can see the 'It Works' page but now what? I want to add Joomla to it but I don't know how to make it load like cpanel does. Help!

A. a) Download Joomla
[code]
cd /var/www
sudo wget -c http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsrelease/14659/64120/Joomla_1.6.3-Stable-Full_Package.zip
sudo unzip Joomla_1.6.3-Stable-Full_Package.zip
sudo rm index.html
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data *
[/code]

b) Setup MySQL & phpmyadmin
[code]
sudo apt-get install mysql-server
sudo wget -c http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/phpmyadmin/phpMyAdmin/3.3.10/phpMyAdmin-3.3.10-all-languages.tar.gz
sudo tar xvfz phpMy*
sudo mv phpMy* phpmyadmin
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data phpmyadmin
sudo mv phpmyadmin/config.sample.inc.php phpmyadmin/config.inc.php
sudo nano phpmyadmin/config.inc.php
[/code]
During the installation, it will ask you for the mysql password. set it, and remember it.

Now,
At this point, add something to the part where it says you need to add something for blowfish authentication. Just type a whole load of random characters.

Press Control + X to save.

visit http://< web server address >/phpmyadmin

login with username 'root' and the password you set before.

Create a new database named "joomla"

Now, visit http://< web server address >
Your database name is the one you just created.
User is "root"
password is the password that you set.

Its not exactly secure to use the root account, but as your only using it for personal purposes, it doesn't matter much.

What exactly is so great about linux?
Q. I have tried Ubuntu out once but I didn't really see the point of it and I ended up going back to windows 7. What does linux have to offer that windows does not (apart from the fact that its free)? I'd really love to learn more about linux and play around with it (especially customizing it and tweaking settings to personal preference but I don't know if that's what it's about).
Oh and can someone also please recommend a (or perhaps a few) versions I should try out?

A. I'm so glad you ask this question!
Well, linux is great from many points of view. I hope you take your time reading this, and I hope this will prove helpful to you! :D

1. The main one, which is definitely the best thing for an every-day user is the fact that Linux is virus-free. No antivirus, no problems at all with malwares or malicious software.

2. Open source. Open source doesn't mean ONLY that it's free. Aside of the fact that you have FREE licensed OS, there is a huge open source community, constantly working on your linux version (we call them distributions), fixing bugs, or dangerous leaks and making it better, and better every day. With linux, you will always benefit from the latest updates, which is great.

3. Great security. Having no viruses, being open source (constantly updated), with Linux you can be sure you're system is as secure as it can be. As for myself, I feel secure ONLY on Linux.

4. Optimal. Linux is, no doubt, optimal! It is very fast, even on slower computers. As an example, at the Informatics Olympiads in my country, they test the sources both on Windows and Linux, and Linux is faster all the times, sometimes even twice. Linux is faster because of it's relative simplicity, because of it doesn't have all those additional programs which Windows needs for pretty much everything to slow down your computer.

5. Support for all standard formats. With Linux, you are off to go from the moment you install it. It supports pretty much EVERY standard format there is. In windows, to emulate an .iso you need a program (in Linux you don't; of course you can install, if you want a nice user interface), In windows to unzip a .zip you need a program (in Linux, you don't) etc. etc.

6. Great control over your OS. In Linux you got the Terminal, which allows you to do EVERYTHING you want (including to screw up your computer, believe me :)) ). Basically, in Linux you control the system. In Windows it's different, Windows is a closed box, you can only see it's outside. You are forced to use what they give you, how they give it to you. In Linux you can use what you want, how you want. And that's nice.

7. Just like the OS, you benefit from a lot of open source software, which (some of them) are great! Like GIMP instead of Photoshop, Blender instead of... well instead of nothing because Blender is the best out there for 3D Modelling (IMO)..., Inkscape for vector graphics etc.

8. WINE. If you still need a certain program from Windows which doesn't have a version for Linux, there is WINE. WINE is basically a thing which lets you install and run Windows programs as your Linux would be Windows. You can very well install MSOffice, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, anything you want. Even games! Yes, you can play windows games on linux with WINE. For some of them, you may get even better performance than on Windows itself. With a little bit of learning it's ropes WINE will make you forget about windows.

9. Customization! That's another great thing of Linux. On Linux you can customize, tweak, modify anything at your pleasure, given that you know how to do it. Of course, some of the things you can customize easily, some of them harder, but there's always that feel of happiness when you make your system look like you want to. And when you know you did it!

At first, I would suggest you to use a dual boot: Windows 7 and Linux, so that you can switch to Windows whenever you need, until you get familiarized with linux. For this, it is necessary to install Windows first, and then Linux with it's bootloader so that it recognizes both Windows and Linux at boot.

Finally, as you requested, here are some versions (distributions, like I said, or shorter distros):
1. Ubuntu - it is great, user friendly. If you want full customization you should try older versions of Ubuntu, like 10.10 or 11.04. http://ubuntu.com/

2. Linux Mint 12 - the distro I'm using now. It's as great as Ubuntu, if not greater. It's interface is very very nice, and I love it. http://linuxmint.com/

Have a nice day, and good luck on learning the ropes to this great system, Linux!
I hope I helped!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment