Thursday, January 17, 2013

How do I set up a remote desktop to my Linux computer?

Q. I am running Windows XP on my crappy computer, and I want to view my Linux computer (Ubuntu 7.10) Many programs I tried didn't work. Can anybody help?

A. VNC - it will work on Linux and Windows.

How can you install Shockwave on a Linux computer?
Q. I recently bought a nifty little Eeepc, it works great for everything, it even plays videos and things really well.
The only problem is it runs on a linux system... does anyone know a way how I can install a shockwave player onto a linux computer?

A. this is gonna take a little work ;)

read this to install wine on your eee http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:wine

wine will allow you to run windows programs under linux. after this, you should downlaod and install firefox for windows.

run it under wine and install shockwave.

this may be a hack but at the moment, there is no native shockwave player for linux or last i read, macs even.

How do I download stuff on a Linux computer?
Q. My brother just made the Dell computer a Linux and I have no idea how to download anything. I keep trying to download Skype but it won't download correctly when I press Save. It keeps opening a new link on Google Chrome and its about blank. How do I download stuff on a Linux computer?

A. What distribution is it? You will want to get everything from the synaptic manager, that is the safest way to get your software. If you trust the source where you are to download either the .deb, .rpm, or source file you can do it that way as well, just be sure to check the checksum of that download.

In a terminal Change the Directory to here the file is located, which will most likely be the Downloads folder.

(ex.)
cd Downloads

md5sum <<file.name>>

When typing the file name in you can hit tab after the first couple of letter which should complete the task. If a file name has any spaces it must be put in quotations.

(ex.)
md5sum "file name"

you will be given a hash number, compare it to the checksum that the source site provides. The Checksum is basically the softwares fingerprint, if it doesn't match it is a fake.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment