Thursday, January 10, 2013

How can I force mount my external HDD in Fedora 10 Linux?

Q. The command line suggested in the error windows doesn't work, and I don't want to have to start Windows just to mount a bloody external. It frustrates me that Linux can't just ignore the fact that there was an unclean shutdown. Windows can handle it, why can't Linux???

A. Could you explain what happens when you try the command line suggested in the error window?
If we knew specifically what the error messages were and the details of what you are trying to do we could help.
If some error messages are ignored and the drive is mounted anyway the problems could become much worse and all data permanently lost.
Good luck

How to make mouse work after wrong shutdown in PUPPY linux?
Q. After failing to shutdown puppy propery when I boot my pc it comes with a warning and I have to choose IGNORE or COMMAND LINE and when I choose ignore it enters puppy and my MOUSE doesn't work.... how to fix it? I have to reinstall puppy everytime than and it's so annoying..


ps it's not me who is shutting puppy wrong, it's computer used for internet, so guests shutdown incorrectly or something...

A. I believe that Puppy is best used off the LiveCD, why don't you install a different distro?

Puppy is now based off of Ubuntu, just fyi. I personally think that Ubuntu is over rated, I prefer Linux Mint to Ubuntu due to user friendliness. If you want try the Linux Mint 9 go with Flux Box, Xfce, or LXDE for faster versions that require less system resources (In other words to run like Puppy) or even LMDE (Debian Edition). http://linuxmint.com/

You may want to give Fedora a try also which is another of my favorites: http://fedoraproject.org/

What is the best Linux OS (Operating System) for nvidia drivers?
Q. I have GeForce 5200 VGA card. But Ubuntu 10.10 is not detecting it. I have to use Linux for many reasons. But I can't use my VGA with Ubuntu. Please Help ME!!!

A. Hit ctrl-alt-f2 to come in to the text mode (your graphic screen will disappear)

log in

Then enter following commands

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-173-dev
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo shutdown -r now

Then your pc should restart and tadaa... nvidia driver working




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment