Sunday, January 6, 2013

Can I install linux programs on a usb and use them with a live cd?

Q. I have a backtrack live cd and I want to know if i can use a usb stick to save programs on it that i can use with the live cd. I don't install backtrack on the usb stick because it is only 2gb not enough space for the .iso image.
Thank You Laptop Repair for the quick response I will look into which programs come in a "portable" version.

A. Depends on the program and it's dependencies. Some programs require common libraries, some programs will install "common" libraries that they need, even if no other installed programs use the same dependencies. Similar to how Windows software will install files in the System directory, and a Common Application directory, as well as the individual program directory.

So, in theory, yes. You could install some software to a thumb drive, and run it from the Live CD. However, it would depend on whether there was a portable version of the program. http://portablelinuxapps.org/

How to backup a Sata HDD onto a USB device Using Damn small Linux live CD?
Q. Basically I have a bootable CD I made and am needing to back up a sata HDD. If you would tell me step by step instructions on how to do this would be very much appreciated...

Kind need to do this for tomorrow so any urgent help would be nice :). I f you would recomend another Bootable Iso I have one CD remaining:)
Cheers In advance

A. I would try knoppix from http://www.knoppix.net/ and just run from the CD, put the USB Memory stick in the PC, browse to the file you want to copy and copy it across.

So once you boot linux via live usb on windows, how do you get back to windows?
Q.

A. Shut down, remove the usb stick and then just boot into Windows




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment