Sunday, January 6, 2013

How do I set Linux desktop icons to look like Microsoft OS?

Q. Hi all,
I recently bought a acer one net book with linux on it, does any one know how i can if its possible to rearrange the desktop icons so that they appear like the icons would on microsoft os. Also how do i set a desktop picture.

A. You'll definitely need to install cairo dock https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CairoDock

Also you can get mac-like themes here http://www.gnome-look.org/

How do I invert the colors on my Linux desktop?
Q. I sat on my wireless keyboard that was on the desk chair and it inverted the colors, and I never knew that my computer could do that, because I thought only Mac's could do that. But! What are the keys I need to press?! Please, and thank you! I use Ubuntu 9.04

A. Super + M or Super +N

This is assuming that you have compiz fusion enabled.

How to connect to the wireless internet on HP 2133 with Linux Desktop 10?
Q. I have HP 2133 with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10. I need help connecting to wireless internet. I have tried everything. I've clicked everything that say "Network" but when I attempt to browse the web, I am still not connected. Can someone help me?

A. iwconfig is the package that u need im not sure which package manager Suse uses u may prosper from determining what chipset ur mobo is using on the wireless NIC, usually either broadcom or intel, and u should visit the Suse site wiki and search for supported wireless cards, the drivers may be built in or u may be able to retrieve with package manager,,u may or may not be able to use ur wireless card,, u should be able to as linux includes drivers for many devices, u may even be able to use ndiswrapper to use a windows driver and inf file to use the device,, all depends on the card and if the drivers are available to u, for most normal cards they are there, u would use iwconfig like ifconfig to configure the wireless interface and query for info,, there are other apps in repos for browsing wireless networks etc, u usually need to edit a network conf file or rc.conf file to allow the interface to come up at boot with the proper config, this can be done once and last til the system dies on redhat it's /etc/sysconfig/networkscripts i've seen like /etc/network/network.conf i think on Ubuntu which is debian based,,, not sure for Suse though, probably very similar, when u make the changes to the conf files u can just restart networking /etc/init.d/network restart from the command u can test connectivity by pinging outward to the internet like google.com or yahoo.com if u receive a response ur online,,,




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment