Wednesday, January 23, 2013

what program can i use to control my server running Ubuntu Linux on my windows PC.?

Q. I have an older computer running ubuntu linux desktop edition. I also have Samba File and Printer Sharing and Web Servers installed. I have WebMin installed. Everything seems to be working. I want a way to control my server using a GUI and the Xwindows system on my PC. So basicly I want to see my Linux server on my windows PC(s).

A. you want to setup a program called tightvnc server, then on your windows pc you can use a small app called vncviewer. its small and fairly simple
Here is a pretty good howto on setting up the server end.

http://maketecheasier.com/set-up-a-vnc-server-in-ubuntu-hardy-heron/2008/05/30

How do I share files on my server?
Q. I have an Ubuntu server and I want to share some of its files with my Windows AND LINUX desktops. I have heard that you can use Samba to share files with Windows, but will I be able to access the files throught Samba on a Linux desktop? Thanks.

A. sudo apt-get install samba

then edit /etc/samba/smb.conf
At the bottom it will have some sample shares. These will show up as the shared folders.

ex>
security = share
[Applications]
path=/home/offensivetech/apps/
guest only = yes
read only = yes
browseable = yes

This would put an "Applications" folder to show up when you go to
\\servername

Make sure to reload the samba config whenever making changes to the configuration file.
sudo /etc/init.d/samba reload
(might be sudo /etc/init.d/smb reload , can't remember).

How can i display a shortcut on my desktop the way mac does?
Q. I want the desktop to display an icon whenever i add a hard drive on my pc. I don't want to create shortcuts of my hard drives on my desktop.

Is there a theme that enables this function or some kind of software?

The thing i am looking for is this on the right of the screen: http://www.techmixer.com/pic/2008/02/mac4lin-make-linux-desktop-look-like-mac-os-x-leopard.jpg

A. Try to download a vista theme that has the same shortcuts with mac search google for the theme



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment