Sunday, January 6, 2013

What is the best linux os for a macbook pro?

Q. I'm interested in switching to linux... currently have snowleopard on a macbook pro.

i was overwhelmed with the amount of choices for which version of linux to install--which one is the best?? i've never used linux before...

A. Ubuntu is one of the most highly recommended versions of Linux. It's not really the choice I would use, even though it is pretty well established as one of the best. I do run a Linux operating system, but I favor those that are Mandriva based, that is what I use. I have ran about 150 different flavors and distributions of Linux. In general they all have and use a very common base system. The difference in the distributions is only the Desktop Environments they offer and what the repositories have or do not have in that repository. Remaster versions have the repositories altered so the user does not mess the distribution up. The All-N-One Ubuntu distribution that is a combination of all the different distributions of Ubuntu is called Pinguy Linux. It is virtually run right out of the box, so to speak and almost every thing is already installed for the user. In reality saying the best, is only an opinion and a persons preferences.

What is the best Linux OS to run on an IBM server?
Q. I have an IBM 345 I want to web host (apache+php+mysql) and I want all the drivers to work perfectly!

A. Generally debian is considered a stable and capable distro for servers. Her are some forum that discuss the issue.

What is the BEST Linux OS to use in conjunction with Mac OS X Snow Leopard?
Q. I upgraded all our current computers to Windows 7 Professional OS, but I am thinking about purchasing a Mac computer and I love Linux. What Linux OS distribution would you recommend? Thank you in advance as I truly appreciate all your kindness and helpfulness. :-)

A. I can t believe all those Ubuntu fans lol Are you kidding Ubuntu???? Not for beginners, no mp3 support all open source software, no internet plugins, NOT for beginners, intalling fonts is a nightmare.

In all fairness i don't understand how one on the superb MAC Snow Leopard would like to use Linux.

I recommend paid linuxes Like Mandriva Power pack or Suse Linux entreprise Desktop,

if free then Mandriva, or Opensuse, there are many others.

Avoid Ubuntu unless you want to spend hours fixing things besides Ubuntu has a very limited range of supported application it is only a cd not a dvd.

Good luck

RICK




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment