Friday, January 11, 2013

How do I edit a text using linux command line mode?

Q. I need to edit a text file but I dont know how do you do it using linux in command line mode.

Thanks!

A. pico or nano are good choices for a novice. emacs or vi for an expert

How do I run a web browser from linux command line?
Q. I an VERY new to linux. I have installed Fedora 5 in text mode. I have a Linux book and am trying to slowly learn linux. So from the console, or command line, how do I run a web browser. Also how do I run the X Windows System?

A. If you installed in text mode, maybe you didn't install X. You probably have a text mode browser. Try lynx or elinks. If the startx command doesn't work, try "yum install x-window-system". By the way, Fedora 5 is old. The current version of Fedora is 9.

How can I set folder permissions in linux in such a way that users can create files/folders, but not delete?
Q. I have made a folder on my linux server, which needs to function as some sort of "deposit box".

Users should be able to create files & folders, but not delete them after they have been created.
Is that possible from a linux command line?

A. You'd probably have to mess with umask and chmod.
umask [-p] [-S] [mode]
The user file-creation mask is set to mode. If mode begins with a digit, it is interpreted as an octal number; otherwise it is interpreted as a symbolic mode mask similar to that accepted by chmod(1). If mode is omitted, the current value of the mask is printed. The -S option causes the mask to be printed in symbolic form; the default output is an octal number. If the -p option is supplied, and mode is omitted, the output is in a form that may be reused as input. The return status is 0 if the mode was successfully changed or if no mode argument was supplied, and false otherwise.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment