Saturday, January 26, 2013

How can I tell if my Linux install is in its own partition?

Q. I have a Gateway netbook with Windows 7 starter. I installed the Ubuntu 10 version of Linux. But I don't think it installed on it's its own partition, because it never asked me about the size or anything of a partition or which partition to use. So, I followed some instructions on the internet to put Linux on its own partition, but how do I know its really on there?

A. It did, but if it will make you feel better, do this:

Boot into Linux.
Open a console shell
Type 'df -h'

The partitions will be displayed. The information on the right will tell you the mount point. The one marked '/host' will be the windows partition. On the left the host partition will be /dev/sda1. All the rest are you Linux partitions.

If you want to know more about /dev/sda1, type 'fdisk -l' (be careful with fdisk).

How do you determine what Linux file system your using?
Q. When you log onto a Linux system and get to the command prompt, how can you determine which of the many file systems supported in Linux you are using? Is there a command that will identify it?

A. Use fsck with the N option which just show what would have been done, but also show you what type of filesystem it is.

fsck -N /dev/(device-name)

e.g.

fsck -N /dev/hdc2

The 'mount' command wont help if the filesystem isn't mounted, and looking in /etc/fstab wont help because you cant be sure that information can be trusted.

How can i access a RAID partition from Linux?
Q. I am playing around with Mandriva, a distribution of Linux. I have windows installed on a separate RAID 0+1 setup and i want to access my files from Mandriva. How can i do this? I'm reading about samba shares but i'm not so sure I understand. Is there a directory i can just type in to access my windows partition?

A. Just mount the partition.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment