Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Why wont my downloaded version of wordpress work?

Q. I downloaded wordpress from wordpress.org and it downloaded it as a zipped folder, I unzipped it but it is still just alot of documents and folders and files and I have no idea how to set it up. I know other people have had this problem, any advice?

A. you need a running server (apache/php/mysql). [apache is reccommended, but not required)
It might be easier to sign up for a free hosting plan, so you don't have to think about the server-part

However if you'd prefer to have wordpress on your own computer:
http://php.net/manual/en/install.php
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/windows.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/windows-installation.html

I took it that you're a windows user, if you have a linux distribution on you computer, you should be able to find these software packages in the repositories

How do i create a Wakepup Floppy Under Linux?
Q. im switching between my xubuntu live cd to a Puppy Linux running from a USB FD, i downloaded Wakepup which allows your old pc to boot from your USB device but its a windows Installer, its design for windows and i dont have access to it right now. So how can i create the Boot up floppy under Linux?

A. I think you will find the information you need at:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3875

Note at the top of the thread, there is a link for the WakePup disk image for version 2.0. The link for Version 1.0 {WKPUP11C.ZIP } is lower on the page.

The directions are for Puppy1 {wakePup 1.1c} so you will have to translate them as needed if YOUR's is Puppy2.

In a nutshell, once you have the proper image it needs to be uncompressed and written {as root} to the floppy using 'dd' in Linux. For example, assuming Puppy1:

# unzip WKPUP11C.ZIP
# dd if=WKPUP11C.IMG of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

BTW, WakePup is a Puppy boot disk using FreeDOS, with support for USB mass storage drives (CD-ROM, hard disk and flash), legacy parallel port drives (Backpack CD-ROM and Iomega ZIP) and legacy PCMCIA drives (Addonics or similar CD-ROM).

You may also find this link helpful if you want to create a boot CD version:
http://www.puppylinux.com/cd-puppy.htm

hth.

How do I install Eclipse in Mint Linux?
Q. I'm trying to install Eclipse on my computer with Mint Linux to do some Java and Android development. Using Google Chrome, I downloaded the correct version of Eclipse. It's in my downloads folder as a .tar.gz. When I double click on it, it takes me to the archive manager and shows the folders. How do I install it?

A. The command:

tar -xvf

will untar the file. Then cd to the directory that you unzipped and type :

more README

and read that file. There may be and INSTALLATION file -- read that as well. The normal installation routine goes something like this:

./configure

followed by

./make

then

./make install

and that should do it.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment