Monday, January 21, 2013

What linux Distro should i use for my old PC?

Q. Okay so i've got a old pc.

I've basically put windows 98 on steroids, it has 3 hard drives like 512 MB ram. It's a pentium 3.

so what linux distro should i use.

ps it was originally for windows 2k runs windows XP great.

A. Im running Ubuntu on my old Compaq 1200 notebook 300mb RAM, 500mhz processor, It actually runs pretty good, Im sure your P3 is running at least 1.1ghz so I think Ubuntu is the best OS for you also seeing as Ubuntu has the most drivers of anything built in, you shouldn't have problems with this distro

Which linux distro is the most stable and fastest?
Q. I want to try a new linux distro, and I wonder which distro is:
fast, stable, and up-to-date?
A fast and stable distro is most important.
What would you recomend?

A. Ubuntu:
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Which linux distro is the best for programming?
Q. I have an old pc Pentium 4 with Intel motherboard. I need a linux distro to be installed for programming purposes and also to learn more about system programming. It should be good for programming C, C++ & Unix. Should I get a debian, rpm, gentoo / slackware based? kde desktop would be preferable. Thanks in advance!

A. You will learn a lot about system programming with Gentoo, however in order to install it you need to recompile the kernel. In Gentoo, this is more difficult than in any other system, so unless you have years of experience including compiling custom kernels, I really don't recommend Gentoo for this unless you also are considering Linux from Scratch

This page describes installing Gentoo using Kanotix or Knoppix. It is very useful in breaking things down and installing it until you come to recompiling the kernel, which with any LiveCD except gentoo's install disk, you must do the hard way and you won't get an initrd.img:
http://linuxreviews.org/gentoo/Installing_Gentoo_Knoppix/

This page describes using the install disk to put it on. I would read both and the gentoo handbook before and/or during installation. Mr. Zoonekynd uses a gentoo package called genkernel which I also use rather than recompiling the kernel directly and if you follow his instructions EXACTLY, for which you do need an install disk, you will get a working kernel. I managed to get a kernel with genkernel and a Knoppix disk, but it wouldn't use the initrd.img files generated so don't even try it:
http://zoonek.free.fr/blosxom/Linux/2006-01-01_Gentoo.html

The thing about Linux is the choice is usually based on the kind of support you're going to get. Ubuntu, for example has an incredible amount of support but it is all for computer use. Your choices, except gentoo, all have GREAT support for development. RPM can be Fedora and derivatives, Mandriva or Suse. I generally don't like the last two. I have issues with Fedora Core 9. Nevertheless, I have to say, the best help I got when I last experienced it was from developers and about development. You aren't me so I won't tell you what I don't like. Either you will despise it (especially if you were once a satisfied user of the old Red Hat 7.x 8 and 9 back at the turn of the millenium) or you will be very satisfied with it. And ANY forum will be glad to help you with C, C++ or shell scripting.

http://fedoraproject.org/

Debian and Slackware, both of which are currently on my computers, are both excellent choices for software development. Debian is optimized for developers and has the largest community of developers in the world. Slackware is Vanilla Linux, period. Using it will help you develop the skills you need to try gentoo or Linux from scratch, or any other distro come to think of it. Everyone tweaks and changes the packages to make things work together. Slackware makes the fewest changes. While updating it is a little more complicated (read pain) than updating other distros, it really isn't that hard. You find the updates with a web browser, then give -- I think it's updatepkg -- the url for it. Or you can just install everything from third party programs. In other words it's got all the advantages of Gentoo and linuxfromscratch without the disadvantages.

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2008/06/slackware-tips-quick-and-easy.html

The joke about Debian is that you can use it or gentoo, or you can have a life. Take your pick. It's true (I have Gentoo on a third computer-- the one which most recently had Fedora Core 9 on it). The biggest bear is installation. Someone just described to me trying a "vanilla installation". It took him two weeks. Up until my most recent re-installation I just used the net-install disk. It installs Gnome by default, though, Gnome uses (requires) Mono and my computers object to Mono as much as I do. So I used the KDE live-cd (I think for Etch, actually. Then I just updated it to "testing" so I've been on Lenny/Sid ever since. That just takes about 4 hours.
http://live.debian.net/cdimage/lenny-builds/current/

Also, Knoppix installs a Vanilla Debian with the KDE desktop, so if you want a fast (four hours) easy install of Debian, install Knoppix.

http://www.knoppix.com


For the most Unix-like OS you should try Slackware (which comes with KDE, XFCE4, fluxbox and TWM window managers but not Gnome) or Gentoo (which you should practically be a Guru before you even try). However, for development Fedora and Debian (especially) have NOTHING to be ashamed of when you are comparing them. They all have excellent developer support and tutorials.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment