Monday, January 14, 2013

What is the best Linux OS (Operating System) for nvidia drivers?

Q. I have GeForce 5200 VGA card. But Ubuntu 10.10 is not detecting it. I have to use Linux for many reasons. But I can't use my VGA with Ubuntu. Please Help ME!!!

A. Hit ctrl-alt-f2 to come in to the text mode (your graphic screen will disappear)

log in

Then enter following commands

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-173-dev
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo shutdown -r now

Then your pc should restart and tadaa... nvidia driver working

The right, proper, safe way to turn a Linux (Slackware) machine off?
Q. I noticed it might corrupt the hard disk if I turn it off while it is running a desktop environment. I noticed I must first get out of the desktop environment, and give the command exit and make myself log off, and then it is safe to turn it off. Is that correct?

thanks!!

A. No, to properly shutdown, run the following as root:
/sbin/shutdown -h now

If you wan't to be able to shutdown as a regular user, set the suid bit:
chmod +s /sbin/shutdown

You can also edit /etc/inittab and change the default runlevel to 4, then you will be able to just shutdown from the kde menu.

What is the heart of linux? Windows has system32 and what does linux have?
Q. I don't have any real reason for knowing, i mean. I don't know Linux very well and i just wanna know this.
Also is there any way i can find this "kernal" in the file directory or whatever

A. The system is built in the root filesystem. There's no direct equivalent to the system32 folder (it's not really necessary) and it's not often that I do much outside my /home folder.

/bin holds all my essential command binaries (executables)
/sbin for essential system binaries
/boot for kernels and boot time files
/dev for devices
/etc for system configuration files
/lib for libraries
/media for removable or 'mounted' filesystems

so I guess the nearest equivalent to c:windows/system32 would be /sbin

For the kernel, look in the /boot folder.

Here's a listing of mine:

abi-2.6.35-22-generic
grub
memtest86+_multiboot.bin
vmcoreinfo-2.6.35-23-generic
abi-2.6.35-23-generic
initrd.img-2.6.35-22-generic
System.map-2.6.35-22-generic
vmlinuz-2.6.35-22-generic
config-2.6.35-22-generic initrd.img-2.6.35-23-generic System.map-2.6.35-23-generic vmlinuz-2.6.35-23-generic
config-2.6.35-23-generic memtest86+.bin vmcoreinfo-2.6.35-22-generic

BTW - thanks for the thumbs down everyone, but as someone who's used Linux for the last 4 years I think that you're showing just a touch of ignorance here. Sure, the kernel is the 'heart' but it's monolithic and it's not what the questioner is really interested to know (though I told him WHERE) and the equivalent to system32 - which holds system binaries - would indeed be the /sbin folder and NOT the kernel.

/sbin is where you find 'ifconfig' and 'shutdown'




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment