Sunday, January 6, 2013

Partitioning a hard drive with two different Linux OS's sharing a common file system?

Q. How do I partition my hard drive with two Linux operating systems so that they have a common shared file system? It was explained to me a long time ago but I forgot. THANK YOU in advance for your time and consideration.

A. First, contrary to what jerry said, two /home/ directories may not be safely shared. There are two many config files, you you may end up with name and version conflicts.

/temp may be safely shared

the swap may be safely shared (but wierd thing can happen on resume from hibernate)

also /boot/ may be safely shared so long as you only configure from one system or the other, and there are no filename collisions (unlikely so no really safe in practice)

To just share media file, I would just create a partition and mount it at /share by editing the fstab of both systems. Then you can make your /home/user/Music a soft link that point to /share/Music. Repeat for Documents, Pictures, Downloads, and whatever else you care to share.

Can you write data to a NTFS file system in Linux yet without any problems?
Q. Compatibility with NTFS is one of the main reasons why I stayed away from Linux in the past few years. It worked with Ubuntu a couple of years ago when I tried it, but it seemed to be really buggy. Whenever I write a file to my NTFS, other random files would appear in that directory when I viewed it in Windows. Has NTFS-writing in Linux improved at all since then?

A. Yes you can, you must mount the partition first. Open your home folder and select it.

For your information, I split my hard drive into three:

Windows
Storage (NTFS)
Linux

All my data is saved to the storage section so that I can access it from any operating system. It's also easier to backup my data as it is all in one place.

Here are some links for you.

what is your insight about Linux file system?
Q. what can you say about linux file system compared to windows'?

A. You should say Linux Filesystem because there isn't a official one
The most common filesystems are ext2 (older), reiserfs(old), ext3(latest)
If you are refering to the directory structure the way Linux stores files then you can compare them
In Windows the root directory is C:\
In UNIX/Linux the root directory is \
In Windows the storage component are devices and accessible to a directory structure
In UNIX to open storage device you have to mount them to a destination before opening them
In terms of fragmentation it is lower because ext3 does not write to disk immediately but throws the data into journal back up
Then calculate the most optimal allocation before writing to final destination




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment