Sunday, January 27, 2013

Is thumb-drive-based Fedora slower than said operating system installed to a hard disk?

Q. I've finally convinced my father to let me install a Linux distribution.
The only catch? It has to be on my USB drive. So, I'm going to install Fedora Live USB.

Will there be any differences in speed compared to hard-drive located Fedora? I don't want to have a bad impression of the operating system.

A. A RAM-based drive (which is a thumb drive) is actually faster than a hard drive, which is why Vista allows you to use one as a disk cache - to speed up disk access.

The difference will be speed - you'll gain it. (But a thumb drive has a limited number of writes, which is why that's only a temporary solution. You'll kill the thumb drive in a year, or a few years. An SD card may be a lot cheaper for the same size - if your computer has a card reader.)

How do I recover a fried hard drive?
Q. I just bought a new laptop. It crashed a few weeks ago. Now it crashed again, and the hard drive is fried. Warranty from Dell is expired. I didn't have any important files on there, and I am saving up for a new hard drive. Anything I can do instead of replacing the fried hard drive? I am posting this from a Linux Live CD. Hope you ca help! Thanks!

A. Hard to say for sure since you don't say anything about how it crashed or how the drive is 'fried'..
Pull the drive out of the laptop. Connect it to another PC (possibly with a USB adapter) and delete the partitions. Put the drive back in your laptop. Boot from a windows CD and re-install windows.

How do I put linux on a usb stick?
Q. I want to put Linux on a USB so I can boot the stick up on my computer and wipe out the corrupt disc drive. Problem is, I really don't know how to put Linux on a USB stick. Please, can someone give me step by step instructions on how to do so. Don't just give me a link and let me fend for myself.

A. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ is pretty straight forward, not much to explain

The program is divided in sections top to bottom:
1.- Select your USB drive.
2.- Select source, if you don´t have a linux distribution available select Download and pick whatever Linux you want.
3.- Select if you want persistency and how much memory to use for that (only available for Ubuntu, it's some space in your drive so you don't loose any file created in your live system)
4.- Some options self explanatory
5.- Create

Careful palying with your drives in linux, you can loose all your data.
For Drive formatting and partitioning I would recommend PartedMagic in the Source section



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment