Monday, January 21, 2013

How to transfer folder from Mac to unix server?

Q. I am running OSX and using Terminal to ssh connect to a remote unix server. I need to transfer a folder containing files from my Mac to my account on the unix server. Should I sftp or stay in ssh? What commands do I use to transfer the folder? Any help would be appreciated.

A. You can use either sftp or scp.

sftp is an interactive session, similar to the following:

you@OSX $ sftp user@unix_server

sftp> cd <target_dir>

sftp> put <directory_to_be_copied_to_unix>

sftp> exit


Alternatively, you can use scp to copy the files from OSX to Unix server

you@OSX $ scp -rp <directory_to_be_copied> user@unix_server:/<destination_folder>

How do i send a file from unix to windows server using ftp or windoes ?
Q. How do i send a file from unix to windows server using ftp or windows ?

A. You provided very little information.

If you can FTP then I assume both computers have an internet connection.

Simply upload to the FTP site with Unix and download with Windows.

Did you know that Internet Explorer has a built-in FTP client?

It works just like an Explorer window. Just copy and paste or drag and drop.

If you don't have a good FTP location, you can transfer large files with YouSendIt.com.

OK?

How often is Unix used in the industy?
Q. I am a bachelor's student and I am learning Unix this semester. I was wondering how often will I be using Unix in my career? Languages like Java are used a lot. How often is Unix used?

A. Alright Unix and all the wonderful *nixes
1) you work for Apple you work with Unix
2) You work with large distributed Servers and systems
you work with Linux or Unix
3) You work in Western Europe: UK, Ireland, France, Germany (yeah I know its central but it is very Western)
You work with Unix or a *nix in server development and some of the time in a regular desktop
4) You work in the USA for a school/College you run a *nix
5) you work with a business in the USA, China, India, ect or very small businesses with basic computer functions you use in the business not necessarily on the server but most of the time with: Windows



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment