Friday, January 11, 2013

How do I save my preferences in Ubuntu Linux?

Q. I am brand new to Linux; I have it booting from my external USB hard drive. I see places to change settings (theme, time, etc.) but there isn't really an equivalent of the "Apply" button, and when I close the windows, the changes aren't saved...

What am I doing wrong?
I have tried pressing Enter, double clicking, all the things that usually indicate a selection.

A. This tutorial on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex shows a close button at the bottom of the screen saver preferences window and i think it's the same as the appearance preferences window.

http://beginlinux.com/desktop_training/ubuntu/1089-ubuntu-screen-saver

Changes made here are applied immediately after selecting the changes not with an apply button.

So in that tutorial the screen saver is actually changed when a new one is selected, not after a button turns it on.

Hope this helps.

Does Cisco and Linux use the same type of password hashing?
Q. I know cisco has a version 7 and a version 5; but Linux has md 5, is that the same thing as Cisco's version 5?
Thanks for the insight.

A. Linux (And just about everyone else) uses MD5 or SHA-1 for hashing. I am no Cisco expert, but I would imagine they would use MD5 or some variation of SHA as well, as these are the most ubiquitous of hashes on the modern Internet.

I could be wrong though, I haven't trained for my CCNA yet, I'm just going by what I learned so far.

What is the best certificate in Linux and/or Unix?
Q. I have the intention to master Linux and/ or Unix (I am not sure yet but most probably Linux), so I am searching for the best certificate to study for it, so far I found RHCE and LPIC, I think they may be more.
Please tell me what is the best certificate that would verify my abilities and skills in Linux??
Thanks...

A. Novell also has certifications: http://www.novell.com/training/certinfo/
You can also get certified in Solaris (which is also a Unix-ish OS): http://in.sun.com/training/certification/solaris/index.xml

I'm not sure which certification would be in the highest demand. Certainly Red Hat has the most brand-recognition for the Enterprise. Novell is also well known, and additionally has Netware, which is an alternative to Active Directory. Solaris has a reputation for being rock solid (and notorious for being difficult to administer), but I don't know how much demand there are for Solaris Sysadmins vs. Linux.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment