Saturday, January 12, 2013

How do I run a web browser from linux command line?

Q. I an VERY new to linux. I have installed Fedora 5 in text mode. I have a Linux book and am trying to slowly learn linux. So from the console, or command line, how do I run a web browser. Also how do I run the X Windows System?

A. If you installed in text mode, maybe you didn't install X. You probably have a text mode browser. Try lynx or elinks. If the startx command doesn't work, try "yum install x-window-system". By the way, Fedora 5 is old. The current version of Fedora is 9.

How can I set folder permissions in linux in such a way that users can create files/folders, but not delete?
Q. I have made a folder on my linux server, which needs to function as some sort of "deposit box".

Users should be able to create files & folders, but not delete them after they have been created.
Is that possible from a linux command line?

A. You'd probably have to mess with umask and chmod.
umask [-p] [-S] [mode]
The user file-creation mask is set to mode. If mode begins with a digit, it is interpreted as an octal number; otherwise it is interpreted as a symbolic mode mask similar to that accepted by chmod(1). If mode is omitted, the current value of the mask is printed. The -S option causes the mask to be printed in symbolic form; the default output is an octal number. If the -p option is supplied, and mode is omitted, the output is in a form that may be reused as input. The return status is 0 if the mode was successfully changed or if no mode argument was supplied, and false otherwise.

What wireless internet cards work right out of the box for the linux ubuntu operating system, i need to buy on
Q. What wireless internet cards work right out of the box for the linux ubuntu operating system, i need to buy one but I have no clue about any of the linux command lines or anything. I also have a zyxel g router

A. I have a Dell desktop with a LinkSys WMP54GS wireless card. After installing Ubuntu the wireless card was automatically recognized.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment